Food issues....

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 9/15/15 12:44 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Are you weighing/measuring your portions of dense proteins?  It could be that you're trying to eat too much.

What types of meat are giving you problems?  Chicken?  Beef?  Pork?

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

micrene
on 9/15/15 8:39 pm - Melbourne, FL

There is no need to weigh it as I can only eat one to three small bites and that's it.  I eat slowly, chew well, yada yada.

Pork is worst -- I have completely stopped eating or attempting it, beef second, then chicken and turkey, then boiled eggs.  I can eat the eggs made into egg salad with mayo, but I cannot eat them alone.  I can eat the small boneless chicken wings... 2 or 3 depending on size and how they are cooked,  and turkey I have tried both ground and burger patties.  I can get about a quarter to a half of a small patty with nothing else but with any of it, I just don't feel good for a couple hours afterwards.

Fish on the other hand, I can eat about 2 - 3 oz without pain or being uncomfortable and really enjoy it.

The purpose of this post was simply to find alternatives to the heavy and unwanted meats that make me uncomfortable.  Today, I did find a list of the top 40 protein rich foods which helps a great deal when trying to decide what to buy at the store.

Thanks!

Oneillch
on 9/15/15 11:23 am, edited 9/15/15 11:30 am
VSG on 02/04/15

I use to love beef, but now I find it harder to digest so I try and have other types of dense proteins like shrimp, fish, chicken or turkey thighs, or meat (beef or pork) that's been braised or cooked in the crockpot.  There are plenty of recipes on Pinterest for the crock pot and you can also search for bariatric friendly or low carb recipes.

Try having shrimp or chicken salad or flaked salmon over a 1/3 cup of salad. With the mayo, you won't even have a need for dressing. If you have a veggie soup, try adding some shredded chicken or thinly sliced pork or beef (the thinner, the easier to digest). Make a meatloaf, frittata, stir fry, or try zoodles (zucchini noodles) with meat sauce or baked with cheese. Have fun & enjoy what you're eating! 

micrene
on 9/15/15 8:45 pm - Melbourne, FL

I have a Pinterest site with loads of receipies I added before surgery thinking I would use them afterwards...LOL... and I love the crockpot. In fact, all of my soups are made in the crockpot that have beans like black and navy, along with canned chicken and plenty of veggies to make it nice and hearty.  I also make beans by themselves in the crockpot... all of which lasts us for a few days.

I am experimenting more and more with seafood, both fresh and canned, along with salad and I hear SOBA noodles are high in protein (12g for 3 oz) so I am going to locate some of those as well.

I found an amazing list of the top 40 Protein foods and plan to build my pantry and stock the fridge based on the foods listed.

Thanks for the suggestions!!  That is what I was looking for.

Oneillch
on 9/16/15 6:42 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

If you're not doing so, a good habit to get into is to track whatever you're eating (also weigh & measure) so you know how much protein you're getting. Remember you may be having only a few bites now, but as you heal you will be eating more & you don't want to be consuming too many calories or carbs because even non-starchy veggies have carbs (approx 2 gr for a small tomato) and they can add up quickly. 

Most Active