Best Portion Sized Cups and Water Bottles?

Abby2015
on 9/12/15 2:28 pm

Hello, I had my surgery on Wednesday and I'm starting to feel like my old self.  I'm finally able to think I'll get to where I can have 3 protein shakes a day and all my water soon.  

Does anyone have a really good water bottle they recommend?  I want one I can fill up in the morning and and at night know that I've had all my water because it is gone.

Also, are there any 4 ounce shot glass like things for measuring protein shakes out in?  

I've tried searching on google and I haven't come up with much.  

Donna L.
on 9/12/15 3:14 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I use a 64 ounce Hydroflask which keeps things cold for 24 hours - I literally have ice in my bottle 24 hours later.  It is a bit pricey and heavy with full, but their 40 oz one isn't too bad.  I'm almost 2.5 months out and can drink faster so I've switched to Blender Bottles because then I can toss in a scoop of protein and get some extra in.

I honestly just used a literal shot glass right after surgery. I had tried to use those little cups for bathrooms, but they would get too wet with the slow sipping.  After 2 weeks though I was sipping easily even going slow.  The first week I did eat a lot of popsicles which also helped my water intake (sugar free tropicals have 15 cals each).  

You can get appetizer bowls, dipping cups, etc, that are 2-5 ounces from Amazon, or at Sam's Club and restaurant supply stores much cheaper.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

poplargreys
on 9/12/15 4:17 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

I use Contigo water bottles, I have both the 24 and 32 oz sizes. Gravity straws so you don't suck air, and not insulated. 

For measuring cups, I have a 2oz and 5oz Pyrex-style glass measuring cups that I used quite a bit in the early stages. You can find similar ones on Amazon, I believe the brand is Anchor.

joatsaint
on 9/12/15 6:15 pm - TX

I've not used any special bottles for my water,

but I did buy some 1/2 cup size gladware containers for my meals.

They were just right for portion sizing during my 1st 6 months post-op.

After that, I graduated to 1 cup size bowls.

Free ebook - The Top 10 Weight Loss Surgery Fears and How to Kick Their Butt!

Check out my Youtube channel where I answer your Most Frequently Asked Questions.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Frankensleeve/videos

Tracy S.
on 9/12/15 9:13 pm

I had my surgery about 2 weeks ago.  Drinking out of a straw is BAD...do not do it.  (from a post above)  I have a 16oz tervis tumbler with a lid that keeps my drinks cold all day.  (although I find that drinking more room temperature drinks works for me so I leave my water pitcher out and refill from that).  I couldn't tolerate regular water and the doctor recommended a little crystal light in it and it goes down much easier with less gas for some crazy reason.  I also switched from water bottle to tumbler to lessen air I swallowed.  I'm glad you are feeling better!  Best of luck to you!

Neesie57
on 9/12/15 2:27 pm, edited 9/12/15 2:37 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

I bought 2 Contigo aluminum, insulated, 20oz bottles from Costco.  I make sure I drink at least 3 of them a day, to make sure I get in all my liquids.  The insulated bottles keep my drinks cold for at least 12 hours, even when it sits in my hot car.  I love them!

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

poplargreys
on 9/13/15 10:26 am
VSG on 03/31/15

I forgot about my precious Wean Green containers! I bought the set of 6 cups, 2 each of 2, 4 and 6 ounce glass containers with sealed lids. They were not cheap, but they are perfect for portioning out leftovers and they are very durable.

Kiwideb
on 9/13/15 2:15 pm
VSG on 01/19/15

My camel back was a life saver - I don't know why, but I find it so easy to drink out of, right from a couple of weeks out. I bought a 33oz one so I know 2 fills and I've dusted my daily requirements and all else Is gravy

Most Active