6 Year Anniversary of VSG

George B.
on 8/19/15 9:34 am - Miami, FL

Six (6) years ago today I had my VSG. I started out at 300 pounds and reached my goal weight of 170 pounds in 12 months. I lost the weight by eating less, very little exercise was involved. I was more active as the weight came off but there was no regularly scheduled exercise. It was reduced caloric intake.

Today, six (6) years later, I weigh 181 pounds and I'm very happy with that. I still have restriction and get full quickly. I still cannot eat when I drink or drink when I eat without risking throwing up. I've gotten accustomed to this. Protein fills me up and keeps me full for a long time. I can eat more carbs now but choose not to. After my sleeve I lost the constant I hunger I always had. I'm rarely hungry now but I'm also more conscious of making good food choices. I don't waste calories on junk food. 

Since my VSG I have stopped eating fast foods, junk food and diet coke. I don't miss any of it. I'm likely the cause of McDonalds stock going down. I cook more now, grilling and salads are my favorites. 

Eating out is not as much fun now. I often order with my eyes and end up leaving a lot of food on my plate. If I over do it I end up in the bathroom regurgitating the meal. I'm better at portion control when I serve myself.

All told, I'm thrilled with my progress. I've been able to maintain my weight now by eating correctly, bike riding and daily 3 mile walks with my kids and dogs. I still feel restriction when I eat too much and I'm rarely hungry. I drink more lattes now but I consider that an ok vice which I enjoy (love coffee).

I recently came back from a 2 week vacation and put on a few pounds. I'm working now on getting rid of the vacation weight but I'm not stressing over it. Losing 11 pounds is nothing when I've already lost 130 and I still have the VSG to help me reach my goal.

If you're on the fence about the VSG I would advise you to do it. My only regret is not having the surgery sooner. Losing the weight has impacted my life and my interaction with family  and friends is the most positive ways possible.

My son was 3 when I had my surgery. He doesn't remember me being fat and not able to get on the floor to play with him or completely sweating through my shirt (we live in Miami) when we went to the park. Recently we were going through pictures and he asked who the fat man carrying him was in the photo. He wouldn't believe the fat man was me.

Finally, excess skin. I shrunk back pretty well though there is excess skin at the waist. I could stand to have it removed, I would probably lose 5-8 pounds, but at this point it's not noticeable when I'm dressed and I'm not ready for another surgery. 

I went from a size 48 pants to a size 36. Could never have achieved these results without the VSG.

Good luck!

GoBlueGirl1998
on 8/19/15 9:43 am - MI

Thank you for the post, I like seeing success like this. You have done so well. I hope you have continued health.

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

cappy11448
on 8/19/15 10:05 am

Great post!  I am so happy to hear of your long-term success.  It gives me hope.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Kathy S.
on 8/19/15 10:06 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

suzyq584
on 8/19/15 10:10 am

Thanks for sharing!!

Kelly L.
on 8/19/15 10:17 am

What a great story, and you're such an inspiration!   Thanks for sharing!

frisco
on 8/19/15 11:19 am

Wow !

Hey George B, Great to see you and read your 6 year post !!!

You were just ahead of me and I remember watching you closely and always enjoyed reading your posts as we went through this together.

Things are waaay different nowadays with surgeries , plans and goals.

Congrats on 6 years !!!

Keep up the great work !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

George B.
on 8/20/15 5:33 am - Miami, FL

Hello Frisco,

I remember your posts fondly as well as your food pictures and recipes. It's great to ss that you're also doing so well.

Six years post-op and things are different but still better than before surgery. I still experience little hunger but have to fight carbs creeping into my eating. 

Good luck to you and continued success.

George

(deactivated member)
on 8/19/15 11:38 am

Great post! Thanks for the update and inspiration. I remember you were still occasionally on the boards when I started out. I admired your work then and am still inspired by your success!

tstowe
on 8/19/15 1:54 pm

George... You sound a lot like me. I started at 330 and I'm at 215 now (my goal). I also went from a 48 to 36 pants.

Not a lot of exercise for me either. I did start to jog to get the last few pounds off.

I was in Florida for a week earlier this month and put on five pounds. I've got 3.5 of it back off and I'm sure by this time next month I'll be back at my goal weight.

I volunteer at a local festival every July. It's 10 days and I had a friend tell me he didn't recognize me from a picture taken last year before surgery.

September 1 will be one year for me. It took about 10 months to lose 115 lbs. Skin wise... you've got me beat. I look like a party balloon three days after the party. I bet I'd weigh under 200 if I had it all off.

But hey, now I can wear a sunblocker shirt at the beach and people go, "Oh, he doesn't want to get burned." Where as before, it was "Fat ******* doesn't want to take his shirt off."  LOL

Same advice... If you are thinking about it... DO IT. I wish I'd done it at 35 instead of 45. I don't miss a damned thing. NOTHING but positives.

Most Active