Worried....

Stacy_WLS
on 8/22/15 11:45 am

I still have self doubt - even after a year + at goal.  I think worrying about it and knowing I can't take it for granted helps.  

You will do it - if you keep at it and keep worrying about it.  

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

E_Saenz
on 8/22/15 12:02 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

I think that we all at one point or another have fears but I think what is important you need to direct your focus on the wonderful journey you are on.  Dreams of being at a normal size is surreal.  I struggle too but I'm so grateful for the journey every thing I'm able to do now that I couldn't do before. I've had two nsv's thid week I will share on the board.  Don't beat yourself up be proud of yourself for taking the steps you did to lose the weight besides every pound you lose is one pound closer to goal and one step closer to victory!  You are the captain of your ship take every step and most of all be happy!

Elia Maria Saenz

psychoticparrot
on 8/22/15 3:55 pm

If you've been overweight all your life, your sense of permanent weight loss can seem surreal. You're heading to a place you've never been before, and you're emotionally uncertain about the reality of that place.

Unlike many here, I never had much of a weight problem until I reached my mid 40s (I'm in my 60s now). At one point in my mid 30s, I was underweight at 5'1" and 93 pounds. So for me, I've lived in the promised land and am looking forward to returning to it. I remember when I didn't have to shop the +++ sizes. I remember moving easily and without pain all day long. As long as I stick to the plan, it will happen again.

So, having once lived in that long-lost land, I can tell you it's real, and you'll get there. In the meantime, let your scale and your clothes convince you of the reality of what's happening. Your emotions will catch up.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Ivorybird
on 8/22/15 5:56 pm - San Francisco, CA
VSG on 09/19/13

I think it's completely natural to feel this way.   As has been said before, many of us have tried and failed many times before to lose weight and have ridden the roller coaster of ups and downs.  It is a little hard to imagine what things will be like if you haven't been there before.

For me the journey has been surreal at times.  A lot of it was spent feeling like I didn't fit my own life any more.  About 6 months after my surgery I took a job after having been home with my kids for 10 years.  I remember one time crying to my husband that "my clothes don't fit, my skin doesn't fit, and I feel funny working again after all this time - My life just doesn't fit any more!"  If you can just hang in there, knowing that there will be times that are uncomfortable, and trust that you'll find your bearings again after some time.  

This is a big life change (if we do it right...)  It takes time to adjust.  I liken it to getting married, or becoming a parent for the first time, or moving or getting a new job.  Just like any other big life transition it takes time, feels funny for a while, but eventually we get to a new normal and feel okay again.  Self doubt is just part of the process - expect it but don't dwell on it and you'll come out the other side.  

Good luck!

Jen

Surgery Date 9/19/13 Dr. Cirangle

HW 267.8  SW 261 GW 155 Blog:http://onwardanddownwardsf.weebly.com

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

NikkiL2015
on 8/22/15 7:21 pm - Carl Junction, MO
VSG on 07/06/15

Thank you Jen! Truly words of wisdom.  I appreciate your post, definitely gives me something to think about.  Good luck to you on your continued journey!!!

LadyLeo32
on 8/22/15 10:36 pm

If memory serves, we have the same Surgiversary.  I have definitely experienced doubt.  I have lost 36 lbs since surgery, but I always think am I doing enough? Am I squandering this opportunity? I have a hectic life (don't we all) with lots of travel so I cut myself some slack but I work out with a trainer 3x week, always get 10k steps and rarely go over my calorie goal or under my protein goals.  I think we just have to have faith in the system.  I will be flirting with ONEderland relatively soon and then who knows!! You're doing awesome! Just stick with the plan and you'll be successful.

Most Active