Upcoming Revision

Cheryl C.
on 8/16/15 6:20 pm - Odessa, TX

I'm so excited that I will be having the sleeve done on the 24th.  I am a lap bander from 2006.  I lost 140 lbs and over the last 5 years have gained 50 of it back.  I am not complaining about the band as it was a life changer for me.  I lost the weight, got my degree, got my dream job and thrived socially.  Several related and non-related health issues contributed to this.  Stress being the biggest with my job.  My lap band was my barometer and I started having difficulties.  I had my band removed 8 weeks ago and started down this next journey.  Any and all advice will be appreciated to making this a success.  What do I need to know about buying products and food?

Cheryl C.
on 8/16/15 6:22 pm - Odessa, TX

OK, now I cannot figure out how to get my ticker to show and not my old one.  Always a learning curve.

E_Saenz
on 8/16/15 6:24 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

Good luck with your revision.

Elia Maria Saenz

Cheryl C.
on 8/16/15 6:28 pm - Odessa, TX

Thanks!

E_Saenz
on 8/16/15 6:24 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

Good luck with your revision.

Elia Maria Saenz

Sandra F.
on 8/17/15 5:59 am

The one piece of advice that I would offer is to sip sip sip after surgery.  You will find it difficult to get your liquids in to begin with, but it is extremely important.  I was dehydrated the first month, stayed nauseous and generally felt like crap.  Good luck to you on your revision!

Cheryl C.
on 8/17/15 5:05 pm - Odessa, TX

Thanks

psychoticparrot
on 8/17/15 1:46 am, edited 8/17/15 1:47 am

Wow, you had way better success from your band than I did! Initally lost 20 pounds, then over the course of 10 years gained 75 pounds. My revision early this year was done in the same procedure -- band removed; stomach sleeved. I would suggest not stocking up on protein shakes beforehand, as your senses of taste and smell may alter dramatically but temporarily in the first post-op weeks. What tastes good to you now may disgust you afterward. Buy a few of several brands and flavors, and after surgery, decide which one(s) agree with you best.

I tried to keep it simple during the pureed stage by eating baby foods. My, they were awful! It's worth it to cook and puree your own protein, adding whatever seasonings make it taste palatable. The forum members have many recipes that are quick and taste pretty good, at least as good as pureed food can taste. For me, this was the most unpleasant stage. The liquids stage was easy because it was simple, and the soft foods were delicious, but it's hard to get through the purees. Thank goodness, that phase doesn't last long.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery. I think you'll find that the sleeve leaves the band in the dust in effectiveness and comfort.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

michele1
on 8/17/15 11:42 am
Revision on 07/07/15

Lapband to sleeve revision here also!!! I am so loving the sleeve, almost six weeks out, losing slower because I am a lower weight (I gained 40 back) but at least I won't get morbidly obese again, was headed there.

I think we are a step ahead of the game because we already spent years following the rules of no drinking with meals 30 min before 1 hour after, taking 20-30 min per meal, smaller bites, chewing well ect ect....

For me the best part is I feel "normal" no one day I have restriction not much the next, no what I call the funnel effect ( food or water stuck in upper chest then gurgling through) oh the list goes on!!!

I feel with the sleeve not only will I lose the weight  I gained but might even lose more!!! 

This forum is the best!!! Come here often best advise I could give!

Lapband 6/08 90 pounds lost!  Band slip and esophageal dilation diagnosed 5/15

LapBand removed, hernia repaired and sleeved 7/8/15

Cheryl C.
on 8/17/15 5:07 pm - Odessa, TX

Thanks...so looking forward to this. 

Most Active