The dreaded gym

(deactivated member)
on 8/10/15 10:40 am

Well I can't believe these words are coming out of my mouth but I actually joined a local ladies only gym!  The last time I had a membership to any sort of gym was about 8 years ago when I had also joined weigh****chers.  I really pushed myself on the cardio and really spent 30 mins (all that I could manage to do) on an elliptical and would spend 15-20 mins on the weight machines.  I had this routine for about a month and then slowly but surely ended up only going a day or two a wee****il I quit.  I absolutely hate cardio and I think it's in part because I push myself to the max for as long as I can stand and then I'm exhausted.  Now that I have my VSG tool and healthy eating down pat I really want this to be a different more enjoyable experience. I'd like to use the machines more and weights so that I can look forward to little muscles popping up or toning etc.  What do you find to be the best routine that works for you post WLS?  Also adding that I am 2 months out, weigh 222 at 5'5.  I have fairly bad knees, lower back pain and also have shortness of breath and fatigue very quickly even after 15 minutes of moderate exercise.

Tracy D.
on 8/10/15 10:56 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Cardio isn't where it's at - stick to resistance exercises (weights/bands/etc.) 3 times per week and do light cardio 2-3 times a week but don't do more than 15-20 minutes for now.  As you lose more weight and get stronger you can increase the length of your cardio and up the intensity a bit.  But seriously, the biggest changes in your body comes from the resistance training.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

(deactivated member)
on 8/10/15 11:00 am

Thank you, I did see this section that had resistance bands and such.  I am going to look up workouts so I know how to use them.  I know I could probably do this from home but I find there's too many distractions (like my couch) to keep a routine lol.  

E_Saenz
on 8/10/15 11:04 am - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

This is almost exactly my story only without the weigh****chers I'm excited to be below 200 im only 50 lbs away from that goal I've decided that if I'm exercising it's gonna be fun.  I have a bike that was given to me and I just got it and am excited for the weather to cooperate with me it's been rainy since I got it I'm going to try this afternoon.  It's gonna be a couple of weeks before I can ride my surgery is Wednesday so until im better im told 2 weeks but up to 6 weeks depending on my pain level

If im well balanced I'll be on it quick ok'd by the PA at my Surgeon's office.

I'm so read. It's going to be a. NSV for me I haven't been on a bike in upwards of 29 years.  Wish me luck I'll keep you posted.

Elia Maria Saenz

(deactivated member)
on 8/10/15 11:06 am

Yay good luck!  I actually got on my bike for the firs time in a while just the other day.  It felt great!  It's so different exercising even just 20 lbs lighter.  I'm also looking forward to onederland.  It'll be so exciting to see that number.  Enjoy all the small victories along the way.

E_Saenz
on 8/10/15 11:18 am - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

I would love to be friends I'll send a request You enjoy your small victories too.  

Elia Maria Saenz

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/10/15 11:12 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I think the most important thing is to find something you actually LIKE doing. I'm not a runner, even when I tried very hard to like it post-op, but I love to swim so I started doing that regularly at the gym. I also discovered that I LOVE cycling, and can go out and ride for 2 hours and have a blast, so I do that when I can.

As you've already seen, you'll stop doing something if you hate it. So try as many things as you can, especially if your gym offers classes. Try yoga, Zumba, spinning, lifting, whatever, and if you only try it once there's no shame in it!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Paula1965
on 8/10/15 7:00 pm
VSG on 04/01/15

What she said!!! ; )

5' 4" tall, HW: 242, SW:215.4 Weight Loss - pre-op: - 26.6, M1: -15.4, M2: -16, M3: -11.4, M4: -11.2, M5: -12.2, M6: -7.4, M7: -7.8, M8: -2.0 Goal of 130 lbs. reached at 8 months, 2 days post-op!

michele1
on 8/10/15 2:28 pm
Revision on 07/07/15

Weights are the only thing that gets me to the gym!!! I warm up for 5 min. on the elliptical with arms for an arm day and without for a leg day, stretch, then I lift (alternating upper body and lower body every other day), after I finish lifting I go back on the elliptical for another 5 min and then stretch again. I rest one day a week and try to do Pilates on another. According to my fitness monitor I burn more calories lifting than just cardio alone.

I agree, you need to find what you love, if you love it you'll stick too it and want to do it!!

Lapband 6/08 90 pounds lost!  Band slip and esophageal dilation diagnosed 5/15

LapBand removed, hernia repaired and sleeved 7/8/15

Gwen M.
on 8/10/15 2:53 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

That's great that you joined a gym!  

I've found that the best exercise is the exercise I enjoy, because it's the exercise I do.  So figure out what YOU will enjoy and then do that.  If that's weight machines, awesome!  If it's the elliptical, great!  Figure out what makes you happy.  

I suggest trying everything for at least a week before moving on to the next thing.  (With classes, I give them a month.)  That way you can get past the initial "argh, I feel stupid and uncoordinated" phase before deciding if you want to stick with something.  

And, for cardio, you can use a Couch to 5k program for anything.  Even if it's made for run/walking, you can simulate that on the elliptical or bike by just going faster and slower.  It's a great way to build up your stamina without "going all out and hating yourself."  A recumbent bike or swimming might be good for your back pain and knee pain.  Of course, yoga and other stretching or pilates would also be good for your back and knee pain.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active