Gastric Sleeve Card?

natnat919
on 8/12/15 5:58 am

I have one...... haven't used it yet.   Once I'm a little further along and my portion sizes can be bigger, I plan on using it at Golden Corral for a "to go" box.   They have lots of veggie and protein choices and you don't have to pay for a full buffet price.

Journey2be
on 8/12/15 7:03 am

I think the only place I'd ever use mine is at a place that is like strictly a buffet type place. Because then you really would get screwed paying an adult price for next to no food that you can't take home.Then they will give you a child price and or let you take your leftovers home which they don't ordinarily do. I used to work at a Chinese restaurant back in the day and they had a Buffet and people would use their card to be able to take home what they didn't eat. In that type of cir****tance I'd use it And can understand it. Since some of those places don't have a regular menu so there's no other option. But I don't go to those places if I can help it. I usually just order salmon wherever I go and take home the leftovers. 

HW: 265, surgery wt 245, post op wt 254.  VSG: 3/3/15

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/12/15 8:13 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I have a card and I've never used it. Most times when I ask to order off the kids menu or get a half-portion, I tell the server that I'm "on a funky diet and can't eat much, would it be possible..." and it works just fine. If you're polite and laid-back about it, I've never had a problem.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

jenorama
on 8/12/15 11:43 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I have a card for RNY, but like most posters, I've never used it.  I agree with most kid's menu assessments here, but I've found the seniors menu to be far more attractive.  It's usually the same stuff as the regular menu, just smaller portions.  I've had only a couple places give me a hassle about ordering from the seniors menu and we tend to not go back to those places.  I do keep an eye out for places that offer smaller versions of their main dishes.

I avoid buffets because I don't feel like paying $20 for three bites of food.  I've had waiters look at me weird because I've left a ton of food on my plate, but that's their problem, not mine.  :D  

Jen

Gwen M.
on 8/12/15 12:27 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

This reminds me!  I've found that places which specialize in small plates are totally awesome. One is a meal for me, or we can order a bunch and I can have one bite of each!

I also skip buffets. They're just not worth it and tend to have suboptimal food anyway. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

TerryF9
on 8/12/15 9:37 pm

I wish there were small plates restaurants in my area. Where are you located Gwen? I'm in California, can you give me some examples of small portion restaurants?

jenorama
on 8/12/15 11:08 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Some places I've run across that offer smaller servings in CA are Black Bear Diner, Max's Opera Cafe, Coco's and a couple of local Bay Area places. 

Funny story--had dinner at Coco's the other night and a salad sounded really great. I'm looking at the offerings that included a protein and they're all like 1300 calories or more. Jeezum crow. So I see the Cobb Salad and notice it's 800 calories, so I ordered that with dressing on the side. The salad that came was bigger than my head. I ate the chicken, a bit of egg, bacon and avocado dipped in dressing and some lettuce and that was it. I couldn't believe how big that salad was!

Jen

Gwen M.
on 8/13/15 4:24 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I live near DC so I have no idea what's in California. Around here, they are most often tapas places - so maybe google that?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

hollykim
on 8/12/15 2:21 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 11, 2015 at 7:50 PM Pacific Time, TerryF9 wrote:

I received a Gastric Sleeve Card from my hospital after surgery, to use in restaurants so that I'm allowed to order from the kids menu or buy half a portion. I have been to a couple of restaurants after getting my sleeve but I'm just way to embarrassed to use my card. I feel like they're not going to accept it or I'm going to be judged by everyone? 

Do you all have gastric sleeve cards? Do you use them? What is your experience with it?

restaurants are not obligated to acept these cards. It is entirely the managers choice. Just because the surgeon gave cards doesn't mean they will be accepted.

Valerie G.
on 8/13/15 4:57 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Flashing any WLS card puts restaurants under NO obligation to accommodate your request to order from the kids menu, but you're right...it DOES open yourself up to judgement from people.

My approach is this.

I simply say that I love good food, but my appetite is small and I don't care much for leftovers.  I see something on the lighter menu that I'd love to try, or can I get a half-portion of something?

You'd be amazed how easy it is.  If they say they can't help me, then no big deal.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active