Something that really bothers me!!!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 8/8/15 6:18 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I think they're taking a survey. If 5 or 10 people had a drink 8 weeks out of surgery & felt fine, then they can have a drink at 8 weeks. Same goes if they had a drink at 4 weeks, then 4 weeks they can start drinking. Heaven forbid if someone says don't drink for whatever reason, that would be preaching! Can I get an Amen!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Ihearttennis
on 8/8/15 8:14 am - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

Amen!

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

grayC
on 8/7/15 9:43 pm
VSG on 05/01/13

Transfer addiction is REAL and it is DANGEROUS 

i have a friend in the middle of it now, neither he nor his wife want to hear 

it..so I don't say ****but it's real and it's happening right in front of me..

that being said, I waited to try alcohol til I was over 4 months out and I got 

****FACED on about 2 sips of a White Russian which is not hard drink by any means

If/when you try it, just be careful  and aware of your bodies reactions..we can no longer 

handle it the way we used to...IMHO

MaraFaith
on 8/7/15 10:25 pm - denham springs, LA

I can definitely relate. Sometimes it isn't what someone says, its the way someone says it that can rub you the wrong way. But you never know why some people react the way they do. They could have an alcoholic son, or had an alcoholic mother growing up. Best thing to do is just bru**** off.(easier said than done, I know).  

HW:362 SW:345 CW:287 GW:170 Surgery Date: 11-11-2015 with Dr. Bellenger

NikkiL2015
on 8/7/15 10:29 pm - Carl Junction, MO
VSG on 07/06/15

Wow, this thread took a turn to a battle very quickly! I think that maybe the original post was maybe written wrong, but that he was trying to convey that he feels like he is being judged for asking a question.  When we come at each other in an abrasive manner we are not opening the door for others to feel free to ask honest questions, regardless if it's about alcohol or not.  If we are going to help each other out, we need to find out maybe the motive behind the question before jumping to assumptions or conclusions.  We are all well aware that alcohol is not good for us, we are also well aware that chocolate cake is not good for us, but I'm sure that some time in the future after surgery many people will attend some kind of celebration and partake of a small sliver of cake, pie, alcohol whatever the bad thing may be..... By asking when, to me, it seems as though the person obviously is concerned with their body and success as they don't want to do something too early to harm themselves.  I understand the transfer addiction issue, this is one of the reasons why most programs require psychology therapy prior to surgery, I know mine did.  I personally went through a year of therapy before I decided I was ready for this, however I was cleared back when I started therapy.  

With all that being said, I do want to say I appreciate reading all of the "Pro's" helpful, knowledgeable experience and advice!  It is quite valuable information.  We just all need to remember we are all here to help each other and remember not to judge one another. 

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 8/8/15 6:36 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

There's a good deal of assumptions in your post. No one knows if any poster knows that alcohol isn't good for them. No one knows whatever research the person has done, the seminars they went to, the people they've spoken to, the books they've read etc, etc. They only know what is posted.

When someone, at least for me, asks when they can drink after surgery, it makes me wonder what exactly do they know about cross addiction, or the additional stress they put on their liver because they want to drink during weight loss mode. It makes me wonder what their Dr. told them in regards to drinking. It makes me wonder do they know how hard alcohol will hit them now that they don't have a full stomach anymore. It makes me wonder why halt their weight loss for a drink.

Yes there's a lot to wonder about whenever anyone has an when can I drink alcohol post, hence all the responses & advice, but that doesn't mean you have to take it. I think if 1 person could be spared & keep their life by all the "preaching" that they get on these boards then the "preaching" was worth it.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

NikkiL2015
on 8/8/15 8:49 pm - Carl Junction, MO
VSG on 07/06/15

OK, I see what you are saying. I can respect the opinion you posted.  I appreciate you bringing this to my attention.  My posts are by no mean ever meant to be negative toward anyone on in this forum.  I guess I didn't look at it from your perspective and I respect that you pointed it out to me. Thank you!

E_Saenz
on 8/7/15 10:31 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

Manuel I in many ways agree with what you really mean here but if someone poses the question they should expect an honest answer to their question take it or leave it it is advise from maybe people who have been sleeved and are successful the advise is given as exactly that I haven't been sleeved yet but God willing I will be next week Wednesday.  I know that It is going to be a long while before I indulge in alcohol only because I choose not to I would be the last person to tell somone who is grown to not drink but if they asked me I would be honest as I can be and tell them if they want to go ahead but if your seriously wanting to lose you weight you wont savatoge yourself today and then cry at the end of the month you gained weight and play like I'm on thus and so cals and exercise and havent lost they either ate or drank somthing that put them over calories and caused the weight loss to stop sometimes God or The Church doesn't have anything to do with true heartfelt advise.  In the end we are here for each other in our ups and downs and I understand sometimes we need to be told the truth and it's not just somthing they're against it's just that studies show when obese people cant eat or a drug addicted person no longer can use drugs and such they are very likely to pick up a new addiction to take the place of the drug or the food or even alcohol it's just facts.  

Elia Maria Saenz

Mary Gee
on 8/8/15 2:43 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

A few things bother me,....,.

First, I think the odds are pretty good that his surgeon's paperwork includes info regarding alcohol consumption, and states if and when alcohol can be consumed.

If not, the question has  been asked and answered  on the boards numerous times.  Use the search feature.  Better yet, call your surgeon'’s office.

Would you be bothered if the question dealt with jelly d0nuts rather than alcohol?

People taking offence to good faith respoñses.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 8/8/15 4:44 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

You know what's really irritating is asking a question, getting the answers, then argue with people because it's not the answer they want to hear. Yes we are all adults, & as an adult people should be able to figure out what answers they want to use & which ones they don't, just because advice is given, doesn't mean you have to take it.

Who's preaching? Why not ask when you can eat crap food again after surgery. If people want to take wls as another diet & only wait a few weeks,months or whatever to go back to the way they were living b4 wls then they can go right ahead., after all, they're adults.

Most Active