Skinny on the skin

luvmypuggies
on 8/4/15 6:14 pm

My numbers sound very similar to yours, and my weight was pretty well distributed too.  After losing my weight, I really don't have any problems with skin.  Little bit of batwing action, but I'm also 51 so age may have a little to do with that.  One thing that the trainer at my surgeon's office really pushed was work with weights.  I do 30 minutes on the treadmill Mon-Fri (at home), followed by various lifting moves using dumbbells to work arms and shoulders, planks, sit-ups, push-ups, squat, etc (mix it up to keep it interesting).  My tummy is nice and taut and everything else seems to be pretty much where it's supposed to be - lol.  I'm sure luck and good genes contributed, but building muscle helps support the skin and makes a big difference.  Good luck - I'm sure you'll do great!!! :)

Laura in Texas
on 8/4/15 7:26 pm

As others have said, there are a lot of factors that will determine how much loose skin you may have. Have you been to many bariatric support group meetings or conventions? I have. From my personal observations, as a group we are very lumpy bumpy after losing massive amounts of weight. I would guess 80% of us have enough skin and/or stubborn fatty areas that would warrant plastic surgery. Many people learn to live with it. I scrimped and saved and had plastic surgery. I needed the skin removed for my mental health.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Sammy_85
on 8/5/15 12:36 am - Canada
VSG on 01/19/16

I'm scheduled for my surgery in January and I'm also concerned with loose skin after weight loss, although I'll be going through with the surgery regardless because my health is more important to me than my overall appearance. I recently spoke to my GP about my concerns and he suggested a few things to me that you might want to consider as well. Firstly, he suggested that I drink loads of water, starting now and continuing after surgery (in small sips of course, lol). He told me to start upping my protein intake now and continue this after surgery indefinitely. He also suggested I start taking Gelatin, Omega-3 fish oil, and green tea supplements (and continue to take them after surgery as soon as my stomach can tolerate the capsules). These apparently support the elasticity of skin. Lastly, he recommended strength training, which is difficult for me to do now but should hopefully get a bit easier after a few pounds come off. Since I haven't had my surgery yet, I can't guarantee that these things will work but I'm willing to give them a shot. Let us know how you get on with your surgery and if you experience loose skin as the weight starts coming off. Good luck! 

kranky813
on 8/5/15 10:27 am
VSG on 08/20/15

You guys are all awesome! Just as I expected everyone is different and is going to have different results. I'm just so happy that I have found a place where I can ask my questions without being blasted. Thank you everyone!! 

Surgery Date: 8/20/2015 - CW 233 - GW 140

Most Active