Facing feeding the family after your VSG

HoosierRN
on 8/2/15 6:46 pm

Unfortunately I'm from a very small town and had my surgery 2 hrs away, so even the closest support groups are at least an hour away! 

Feeling much more confident today-just mind over matter! And seeing I've lost 9lbs since Monday was a motivator! 

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement! 

happyteacher
on 8/2/15 1:55 pm

I wirte this intending a very gentle tone. Stop cooking the crap food for your family. It is not helping them at all. I do understand where you are coming from. When I was first sleeved I left all of the holiday crap in the house because I didn't want to "deprive" them. Bull**** They got on board with me a few days later and after a few weeks it was our new normal... and they were thankful, not just compliant. I get having to make baked goods to take now and then, but in your house I would strongly encurage you to prepare healthy tasty options for your family. Delicoous does not have to be bad for you! 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

AmyDee123
on 8/2/15 4:18 pm - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

Not only this, but who scheduled you to make the cupcakes for your nephew's birthday?  If it was family, they are not being fair to ask that and you should have declined.  If it was you, now you know you have a hard time with that and should not volunteer for a while till you can handle this.  There are plenty of options to go out and get food, so why stay home while they go out?  And why in the world are they eating bad food while you are eating well?  Make enough for everyone!  I cook for a meat and potatoes kinda guy, a 13 year old girl who is deep in puberty and wants all the chocolate, a 12 year old boy who fancies himself a chef and foodie, and a 5 year old who wants mac and cheese with everything.  They all get meat and green veg.  At lunch if they want something separate from what I am making they can make it themselves.  Put yourself first right now, but bring them with you on a journey to healthy food.  If they are not supportive, tell em to stick it.  LOL  They can fend for themselves.  Occasionally my husband takes the kids to fast food to get them something different, but never a large meal.  They are all supportive of my changes and also have been feeling better with the healthy changes.  

The cupcakes get me.  I am a baker.  I usually make the cakes and cupcakes and pastries for all the occasions.  Now I have stopped volunteering and if anyone asks I tell them no.  "I'm not baking for anyone for a year."  when I explain they all understand.

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

HoosierRN
on 8/2/15 6:59 pm

My family members sound like yours! Even before WLS, I would cook a healthy meal and the kids would not eat, so they had to fend for themselves if they wanted different! 

At puréed stage I haven't been cooking for them. They are somewhat supportive, but they obviously aren't going to change their plans for me. The cupcakes weren't such a temptation because I'm not a sweets person-the smell and sight of the REAL food hit me hard!

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement-best wishes to you!

AmyDee123
on 8/2/15 7:05 pm - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

I hear ya.  Its part of what we are stuck with.  But like I heard someone say on here a while back.  "I can have a cookie, just not today."  It helps me get through it.  Eventually I will be able to have something again, just not now, and when I can I will have a better idea on moderation.

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

Most Active