HELPPP!!!

rogersernest
on 7/28/15 10:20 am

Was going through the final steps leading up to my surgery day, all of a sudden my doctor that I been seeing decided to retire, and can't do the surgery before his final day. Now it look like it will be a while before I get a surgery date.  Also my insurance is expiring in a few days, and COBRA is to expensive.  Did anyone purchase their own insurance policy to have the surgery? or use the Affordable care act (Healthcare)? any suggestions.

Kathy S.
on 7/28/15 10:30 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

We are so sorry to hear all you are going through.  Try posting this on the Insurance, Cash Pay and Financing forum also.  

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

diane S.
on 7/28/15 10:51 am

a private pay policy generally won't cover this.  and it won't be much cheaper than cobra.   take the cobra coverage for a few months if you can.  otherwise you are looking at private pay which is way more.   didn't your surgeon make any arrangements for someone to assume his patients? 

by law , cobra coverage is the cost your employer pays plus a modest administration cost.   gl.  diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

E_Saenz
on 7/28/15 11:08 am - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

Is he the only surgon in his office you might be able to have him refer you to another surgon.

Elia Maria Saenz

lil1inside
on 7/28/15 11:23 am
VSG on 07/10/13

I know what you are going through with your surgeon.  I was going to have my husbands surgeon, and was all set up with him, had seen him a few times, then he moves to a another place--doing something different.  Then I picked a very good surgeon at the same practice, and right after surgery (I'm not kidding) he announces that he is moving out of state.  So, it leaves you feeling a little scared and unsure about things.  BUT you will be fine, just look over the surgeons credentials and make sure it's right for you.  Hope all works out with the insurance situation, I'd hate for this to stop you when you've come this far!

Started at (266 lbs)          Pre-op (249) 7/10/13             Present (173) 03/19/14
No star is lost once we have seen, We always may be what we might have been.
Adelaide Proctor

rogersernest
on 7/28/15 8:59 pm

Thanks alot for the replies, I'm talking with a clinic right now that possibly could do my surgery next month.  It just sucks I came down to the last step and I got hit with this curve ball. :(

E_Saenz
on 7/29/15 7:31 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

I'm glad someone is gonna do it keep us posted.

Elia Maria Saenz

akindofmagick
on 7/30/15 12:53 am - MD

I agree, it sucks big time. How thoughtless of him to get you this far and ditch you!!

OTOH, you're approved, right?  That means you can make it happen if you hurry. I agree COBRA is awful (my quote was over $800/month for family of 3) - but still cheaper than self-pay. 

Good luck!!

I've been fat, and I've been thin - and thin is better.  

There is a better way. --Alaine of Lyndar 
--------------------------
HW: 234. SW: 228 (18 June 2015). GW: 137. Specs: 50ish, 5'4"

diane S.
on 7/29/15 10:53 am

keep at it. i had to have a big fight with my insurance carrier and went through a lot of pre op obsticles but in the end, having to fight made me more successful.  good luck.  diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

happyteacher
on 7/29/15 2:07 pm

Beg the office. Let them know why it is so critical to get it before he retires and loss of your insurance. They can many times make something work. If that doesn't work, then what Diane says- the Cobra will be worth it for a bit to cover the costs. Check with the surgeon- I know mine included in the cost of the surgery all of the follow-up care for a year. Thus, carrying it for just a couple of months is typically long enough to be fairly assured trips to the ER or other complications are taken care of in the unlikely event they occur. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active