Anyone else SUPER emotional?

LuckyDuck
on 7/15/15 3:27 pm

I'm 11 weeks out today and recently - maybe the last 3-4 weeks or so - I've been an emotional, anxious, hormonal wreck. It takes very little to set off a crying jag, and I'm very quick to get angry. I've had so much less patience for my 3yo (a difficult age even without surgery!) and that makes me feel terrible. I just feel so mixed up in my head, it's awful.

I am on the Nuvaring for birth control and I know that's probably not helping, either.

Anyone else feel this way? I feel like I'm going crazy. I started therapy last week to kind of help deal with this (my husband is a surgeon and hardly ever home, so I can't rely on his help or support). 

29yo, 5'2" ? Sleeved 4-29-15 ? HW: 255.6 ? SW: 246.5 ? CW: 160 ? GW: 155.6

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/15/15 3:48 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Welcome to the infamous post-op hormone dump!! Our fat cells store estrogen, and as we lose fat it all goes flooding out into our systems. Cue mood swings from hell!

The good news is that it fades a bit as your loss slows down. Hang in there and you can make it!!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

LuckyDuck
on 7/15/15 3:50 pm

Thanks Sparklekitty! I seriously feel so insane. Also, I think that I can't eat anymore when I'm sad/lonely/angry, and my emotions feel much more raw. This really sucks!!

29yo, 5'2" ? Sleeved 4-29-15 ? HW: 255.6 ? SW: 246.5 ? CW: 160 ? GW: 155.6

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/15/15 3:53 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Yeah, having to cope without food is HARD when that's been your coping mechanism!

Do you have a way to exercise while you keep an eye on your kiddo? Hopping on an exercise bike, doing a yoga or Zumba video, or something like that is a good way to relieve stress.

Lots of us turn to crafts or hobbies as well. It might sound silly, but adult coloring books ("fancy and complicated for grown ups" not "naughty" LOL) are SUPER helpful! That might be a good activity you can do with the 3yo as well.

Hopefully your therapist will be able to help as well. I know that the changes after surgery can seem huge, and I've seen people get SO much good from professional help!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

StephK10
on 7/16/15 6:20 am

Sparklekitty is speaking my language.  I had a hard time coming up with coping mechanisms.  You hear all this stuff pre-op, but it doesn't necessarily sink in until you're staring it face to face.

I am all about my coloring books.  I also knit, which helps a great deal.  I think there are several of us who do that - it's also so much fun to know I'm knitting in MUCH smaller sizes now. :) 

The hormone dump is no joke.  Exercise helped me cope with a lot of it. Plus friends and family. I have a deal with my mom that we talk on the phone every night - even if it's just for 5 minutes.  But that connection was vital.

Height: 5'7" HighW: 266 SSW: 253 Surgery date: 11/17/14 CW 165.4

(FIRST GOAL OF 170 REACHED 6/30/15)  NEW GOAL: 159 (BMI of "normal")

M1: 24 M2: 15 M3: 11  M4: 10  M5: 8  M6: 8 M7: 5 M8: 3 M9: 3

Most Active