I'm not crazy; am I alone?

charminglearner
on 7/19/15 5:47 pm
RNY on 10/27/14

That looks absolutely delicious!  Your plating skills are enviable.  I just put things into sections of the plate.  I need lessons.lol

elliebean78
on 7/13/15 10:11 pm - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 02/19/15

I'm on the fence. Right now, I'm about 5 months out, and I still feel like I can barely fit anything in there, and wonder when I'll get to eat a decent sized meal. However I also know that there was a reason I got to where I was in the first place, and I'm thankful for the smaller tummy size. I often wonder if I eventually WILL get to a point where I can fit more in.... 

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 7/14/15 1:44 am
VSG on 10/09/12

Totally normal but enjoy the small portions while it lasts. For sure you will be able to eat more as time goes by, but then you will wish for the opposite. I still have excellent restriction almost 3 years post op but the capacity is definitely larger than during the first year. I have not had regain but I can see how easy it would be. So you have to stay vigilant and with increased capacity increase also your resolve and your dedication to your health. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

SATXVSG
on 7/14/15 5:47 am - Selma(San Antonio), TX
VSG on 04/22/14

I kind of miss getting full on 2 oz of chicken.  It is now 3 oz of chicken and some veggies so still not where I was pre-surgery.

Surgery Date 04-22-14 HW 2011 388(lost 60lbs on WW, regained 40) Surgery Consult Weight 1/10/14 - 367 SW 357 - CW 9/15 210.

Stalls are your body's way of telling you not to get too cocky.

5K - 1st 59:00(9/14) PR 33:45(9/15)

10K - 1:14(10/15) 1/2 - 1st 3/20/16

CheeksTohBad
on 7/16/15 4:33 pm

Just curious - why do you miss the 2oz days? Again, just curious.  

SATXVSG
on 7/17/15 5:03 am - Selma(San Antonio), TX
VSG on 04/22/14

It was just easier to eat on plan.  I remember 2 months after surgery, I would bring my lunch in a little 1/2 cup container and be full from eating that.

Surgery Date 04-22-14 HW 2011 388(lost 60lbs on WW, regained 40) Surgery Consult Weight 1/10/14 - 367 SW 357 - CW 9/15 210.

Stalls are your body's way of telling you not to get too cocky.

5K - 1st 59:00(9/14) PR 33:45(9/15)

10K - 1:14(10/15) 1/2 - 1st 3/20/16

happyteacher
on 7/14/15 6:27 am

Totally get it. I am self conscious eating tiny portions around coworkers, so I truly get wanting to be able to put down a little more than what you can at say the 2 month mark. Different reason why I suppose, but same outcome. Just relax about it- your sleeve will naturally mature and without a doubt your capacity will increase. I now can put down a smallish adult size portion so enough to keep the strange looks at bay. Enjoy the small portion size now, because you may find that you miss it later on! The only caveat to my current capacity is that I do have a larger sleeve- thank goodness. I am somewhere int he 40s, so if i had a 32 I am not sure if I could have gotten my portion size up to something a little more normalish. Even with my larger sleeve if I am eating clean the very most I can put down is a few ounces of steak and a very small salad. Now if I go crazy with slider foods after a while my restriction will seem to nearly disappear. Conversely, when I have bouts of eating minimal amounts my restriction is far, far too much. For example, I am coming off a surgery from the 9th and am currently really struggling to put down even 500 calories a day. If I try to eat dense protein at all, I cannot even manage an ounce or so thus I am sticking to shakes or greek yogurt to try and up the calorie a bit. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

emtscott54
on 7/14/15 7:56 am

I will take baby portions forever and be grateful.  I am a person living in recovery from addiction.  I accept that what is normal for other folks will never be normal for me.

I will totally miss a massive bowl of pasta, eating a whole pizza, and huge meals.  I also know that if I don't use this tool properly, I will be right back where I started.  I wouldn't doubt that eating larger portions activates the pleasure receptors in my brain the same way drugs and alcohol did.  I know over time that I will slowly be able to fit more food but I also know that I don't have to.  I am trying to change the way I look at and think of food.  I want to see it from the healthy perspective where it is fuel that can have great flavor and texture and be enjoyed in a way that isn't detrimental to my health.

If people want to ask questions or judge, that is on them.  I am not ashamed of my issues with food.  If the guys at lunch everyday want to crack jokes, that's on them.  I get to be healthy and live longer.

I totally see where you are coming from though.  Change is weird and often uncomfortable.

CheeksTohBad
on 7/16/15 4:31 pm

I'm very happy for and proud of you for your approach to your weight loss journey. More power to you. 👊 I'm serious. 

Honestly for me, the social aspect matters but it isn't the  point. I began this weight loss journey with specific goals in mind. For me,  the vsg also served as corrective surgery. There was no way I was going to maintain any real and healthy weight loss with the previous size of my stomach. My satiety signals had practically stopped working. 

Saying all that to say, I respect everyone's journey and I'm learning from all the insight shared. Our goals and approaches are often different but each should be respected.  

Most Active