I'm not crazy; am I alone?

CheeksTohBad
on 7/13/15 1:19 pm

Howdy, good people. 

I had my VSG surgery at the end of May this year. It has been a very rough ride for me since then. 

But that's not even the point of this post. Thing is, I keep reading about sleevers who love (or miss) being able to only eat 2, 3 or 4oz at a time. And this is several months after their initial surgery. 

I don't get that. 

I look forward to a highly active lifestyle (I love anaerobic workouts). So I understand that my stomach is teeny tiny now, but I'm actually looking forward to it stretching a bit. In due time, I want to be able to eat the occasional healthy sandwich and not feel like my stomach is going to explode. I am so, soooooo glad that this surgery ensures that my stomach will never ever get back to the deep abyss/chasm/lost time dimension that it once was. I remember being able to throw back two...!!TWO!!... Chipotle burritos and a 16oz drink. That's crazy. 

I don't want that. Ever. 

But I also don't want to remain in the baby-portion-size lifestyle permanently. 

Am I crazy in thinking this? 

Am I alone? 

Daelcare
on 7/13/15 3:43 pm - Easley, SC
VSG on 10/27/14

I don't think you're crazy....but I do think you're setting yourself up to be disappointed when your success is not like the ones that you read about on here.  Your stomach really isn't going to stretch, it's just going to "calm" down after the surgery and make it so that, over time, you will be able to eat a little more....but never TWO burritos!  You need to recognize a new "normal" and use your tool to make the best choices for your health.  I'd be excited to eat half of that healthy sandwich and have leftovers for another day!  Good luck!

5'5" 64 year old; HW 219; SW 199; CW 129; GW 145ish (original)...now on to "ideal" (138)...got that...now a few spare (132)...got that one, too! Now for the 120's!! Made them...now for the "dream" weight...125! Well, that one's proving to be a little tougher!

Bundlina
on 7/13/15 4:04 pm

Nope.  Not alone.  I can eat a small sandwich now and am SO glad for it because I feel more normal.  It was freaky being with friends and only eating 3 bites of something all the time.   Also eating a little more means I don't need to explain all the time why I'm "not hungry " to people who don't know that I have had surgery. And I am pretty happy with my weight too.  Only 32 lbs to goal and still losing steadily. 

AngelaLynn11
on 7/13/15 4:14 pm

Very normal IMO.  When I was banded in 2007 and that was the biggest adjustment I had to make.  I have since adjusted pretty well.  A massive amount of food seems an impossibility and I even look at others wondering how in the world they are going to eat it all!  So, that means, I think, that my brain has changed.  I see food differently.  I am hoping to extend that thinking to the choices I now make so when I get the revision (praying!) it will work wonderfully!

Happy Losing!!!

Angela 

~Banded 7/2007, removal and revision needed.

HW 325; Lap-band 2007; LW 225; GW: 150

psychoticparrot
on 7/13/15 4:35 pm

You're not crazy. In the first 2-3 months post-op, I cried real tears because I couldn't finish what was on my plate. My eyes said yes; my sleeve said no. In the 4-5 months post-op, I've become very accustomed to my small portions; they seem normal-sized to me. When I see people eating "normal-sized" portions in restaurants, I can't believe anyone can eat all that food.

Your plan to stretch out your sleeve is not a good one. If you need more nutrition because of exercise, better to eat 4-5 small meals a day instead of 3 bigger ones. As you continue to heal, you need to adjust your thinking, not your sleeve. Try to remember that nothing (even Chipotle burritos!) tastes as good as being healthy feels.

Sorry to hear that your recovery has been rocky; so was mine. But with almost 75 pounds gone, I'd do it 10 times over again. You'll get there, both with your weight and your expectations.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

CheeksTohBad
on 7/13/15 4:42 pm

Thanks for the responses thus far, and for letting me know I'm not alone. Again, I don't plan on reverting to unhealthy eating habits. I see it all as a spectrum.  On one end: unhealthy overindulgence (where I used to be). On the other end: babyfood-rationing (where I am now). I just look forward to being somewhere closer to the middle. Healthy food, adult portions. And "adult" can be a half-sandwich or whatever, but I'm sure you get my meaning.  

I had this surgery in order to help me lose weight and eventually live a healthy, 'normal' life. For a while, I was very concerned that I would be stuck at this end of the spectrum forever. It's comforting to know that that is not the case, after all. ☺ 

I look forward to more insight from you guys.

AngelaLynn11
on 7/13/15 6:55 pm

When I first got my band I used to tell people I make my plate look like a 3 year olds.  I think we'll get to a child's size perhaps. 

Angela 

~Banded 7/2007, removal and revision needed.

HW 325; Lap-band 2007; LW 225; GW: 150

frisco
on 7/13/15 6:23 pm

Be careful for what you wish for....

Most VSGers that have "middle" eventual capacity do not do very well in maximum weight-loss and can have problems with long term weight control.

The VSG is not a standardized procedure and eventual capacity can range from 3-4oz. to well over 16oz. guess which capacity generally does better in long term weight control.

Not saying it is impossible and even smaller sleevers have problems and each individual can be different, but no doubt much harder for larger capacity.

A few years back a certain member here came off just like you referring to small VSG meals as "toddler" portions. She doesn't use that term anymore.

It takes at least 6 months to get used to new normals and my guess, if your like most of us, eating much less in front of others becomes no big deal. My experience has been quite to opposite, I tend to get more envy and respect for keeping my meals tasty and tight ! I think you may experience the same. 

It is a lot to get used to.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

CheeksTohBad
on 7/13/15 7:59 pm

Understood. It's possible that I may eventually miss these "toddler portions" someday, but knowing me, I doubt that will be the case. Time will tell.  ☺I'm willing to wait the year or so that it might take for me to reach a new normal. I'm just relieved that the current state isn't permanent! Lol

frisco
on 7/13/15 10:21 pm

This is about 3oz. of Corned Beef and a little cabbage.

Small plate goodness.....

Going into this, I think many people feel the way you do..... me yes, only kind of, I was a volume eater but I was so disgusted with being so fat for so long I was willing to give up food. Only to find out that I love food more now than ever now..... just a different relationship..... quality over quantity.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Most Active