Increasing calories

GooseGirl
on 7/14/15 6:34 am
VSG on 10/30/14 with

Stacy, actually this is my reduced schedule :( a month ago i was doing more and cut back because my body was letting me know it was tired. You are right about the exercise being a compulsion. My ultimate goal is to do the marathon in January and I am incredibly focused on making that happen. That is why I am currently doing so much but I do wonder at times if I am just rationalizing and am instead starting to cross into some compulsion areas. it is a topic that I discuss with my mental health doctor so at least I'm keeping it on my radar (even if I don't have an answer yet)

I only do the circuit training and boot camp on the same days because that's how the classes fell. I started the circuit training class first and really liked the people. That group took a break and I looked for something to continue my progress and found the boot camp class. Then I ended up really liking those folks too. When the circuit training class started back up I didn't want to say bye to either group of people and ended up sticking with both. 

I agree that even when I cut my exercise back or even do none at all, I still lose consistently. Finding the "best" ratio for me is a definite work in progress. It helps to know that others have gone through it too. 

jubjub
on 7/14/15 4:45 am - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12

Almost all the current research I'm reading sums up to: Calorie restriction for Weight Loss; Exercise for health benefits... I used exercise (like you) to help during my honeymoon period. I kept up a very steady weight loss and didn't suffer from any stalls.

If you feel pretty good, and the weight loss is steady, and your labs are OK, I'd keep doing what you're doing - that's what I did, and it worked for me.

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

GooseGirl
on 7/14/15 6:38 am
VSG on 10/30/14 with

I think we must be reading the same research :) You raise a good point about taking into my lab results into consideration. I'm waiting on my most recent lab results and will tweak accordingly. 

justpete
on 7/14/15 7:03 am
VSG on 04/02/13

It seems like a good idea provided you keep up this routine, if something comes up and this isn't possible, you need to drop back down.  And I would back load the increased calories, that is consume the extra calories after your workout in the form of whole food carbs, like whole fruit or a whole grain, high fiber cereal.  (also be sure to NOT workout without first having a normal balanced meal 1+ hours before).  This isn't about weight loss in the short term, you want to increase the calories to help retain muscle for long term weight loss and be able to reach your goal weight.

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

GooseGirl
on 7/14/15 7:58 am
VSG on 10/30/14 with

A lot of my exercise is done early in the morning and so I inherently do back load my calories. It also means that I stink at getting that meal in pre-workout but I have been working on getting some nutrition in pre-morning workout and can tell a difference. I like consciously planning to back load calories for days when I am doing two different things.  

thank you very much for your perspective!

justpete
on 7/14/15 8:49 am
VSG on 04/02/13

it doesnt take much to be honest, something like milk, cheese, or a protein shake will do as a pre-workout if a whoel meal isnt possible.  or hey, an iced latte made with milk and a half scoop of protein is perfect!  vrrm vrmmm  ;)

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

Most Active