Day 6 Post Op - VSG

nhcat1980
on 7/13/15 4:30 am

I feel like I must be the biggest baby! People here are up and back to life as normal after a week?? I'm still in pain, and getting over 350 calories and 40g of protein in a day has yet to happen! Also, everything is going straight through me. I eat, and 45 minutes later, I have diarrhea. If I don't take Gas-X every 6-8 hours, I have tons of gas on top of it.

I'm off narcotic pain meds except for sleep, and I can walk around slowly, but otherwise I'm a bump on a log. Just thinking about doing the dishes or a load of laundry, or picking up around the house, exhausts me. Thankfully, my fiancee has been a huge help, but she's back to work today, so I've got to start being able to pick up some slack. She would never say so, but I know this has been running her ragged, doing both our chores.

I think my first and foremost important thing to do is to start getting some calories into me. They said that I shouldn't see an actual weight loss on the scale until later this week, but I've lost all 20 lbs I gained in the hospital (!!! was not expecting that much!!!) and another pound on top of that, as of yesterday. My diet is limited to cream of wheat (my saving grace), SF pudding (blech!!), protein shakes/drinks (all are so sweet!), strained low fat cream soup, and clear liquids. I have found that I have absolutely no sweet tooth post-op, which is crazy because I was a sugar fiend prior to surgery!! 

Does anyone have any advice on foods I can try that are very similar but might just work?

Also, what can be done about the constant diarrhea?? :-(

I called my doctor's office Friday at 11, and haven't gotten a call back yet. :-(

Ok2BaLoser
on 7/13/15 8:56 am
VSG on 06/19/15

First off, welcome to the losers bench.  Secondly... Your energy will come back a little at a time.  It is important that you stop worrying about household chores and focus on yourself and healing.  The first month after surgery is a crucial time for you and your body's healing.  I wasn't able to eat anything other than clear broths, milk, and water for the first 2 weeks.  I slowly moved into creamed soups.  I am almost 4 weeks out (5 more days) and I still can't get down all the required protein and water.  Just keep sipping and trying.  You will get there.  Are you taking your vitamins?  These seem to make all the difference in the world for me.  I went back to work 3 days post op.  I worked half a day for 4 days and went back full time the following week.  Try your best not to bend, push, or pull.  Laundry requires all 3, so steer clear.  Make sure you are up and walking as much as possible.  This will actually help with your soreness.  Try to get back into your normal awake routine even though you aren't back to work.  Get up, walk around, rest, repeat.. oh yeah, and DRINK DRINK DRINK.

Best of luck!

cappy11448
on 7/13/15 8:58 am

I'm sorry to hear that your recovery is a bit slow.  I was one of the lucky ones who had an easy recovery, so I'm not going to be much help with advice.  Just push the liquids.  My tummy wouldn't tolerate the sweet drinks, so I drank a lot of chicken broth with unflavored protein powder.  You might try that and see if it helps the diarrhea.  Plain greek yogurt was also a staple of my early diet.  I'd mix it with artificial sweetener, and sometimes other things for flavor (balsamic vinegar, flavored syrups, PB2, etc) and it sat well in my tummy.

best of luck,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Pamela M.
on 7/13/15 4:48 pm - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 08/25/14

Egg drop soup was my lifeline the first two weeks post-op. I was also a sugar addict and after surgery the thought of anything sweet made me want to hurl. Good luck and be kind to yourself. This time next month you feel a thousand times better. 

The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.   Henry David Thoreau

nhcat1980
on 7/17/15 10:56 pm

Thanks! The egg drop soup worked - once. :-( Now, the smell makes me gag. My taste buds and sense of smell are crazy right now! However, that one time got me snapped out of the funk that I was in. Thank you so much!!

gwen41539
on 7/18/15 12:17 am, edited 7/18/15 12:18 am - kimper, KY

Im 6 days post op I'm doing good to get my protein in because premier protein is like water...and I have no trouble sipping all.day but soups I tried yesterday creamy tomato and it didn't agree with me...I have went number 2 since last Sunday maybe you are lactose intolerant and that's causing the diarrhea??? the diarrhea is probably adding to the weak feeling you are having...I feel tired too but it comes and goes..I hqve been loading the dish washer, and doing small loads of laundry  .. I feel ok I also have a drain tube I get out Tuesday....I will feel better after it comes out...I would try lactose free see if that help...the number 2  thing..if it does it will in turn help you feel better all the way around...and drink all you can this to shall pass ....the other day I thought I was dying...but I just had to push through and you can too You're stronger than you think you are  and your not a baby this was a big deal hang in there ((Huggs))

HW 381/ pre op 345 /SW 312 Vsg 7/13/15 /CW 288

M1-24 lbs

Most Active