Need some guidence

Stacy_WLS
on 6/29/15 8:09 pm

When I was3 months out I was more in the range of 600-800 calories per day and I was exercising a lot.  

I would highly recommend you track everything.  I also would strongly recommend that you stay away from all white carbs (pretzels, pasta, rice, potato etc,****il you have reached goal or close to it.  

I would shot for 100 oz of water 80-100 grams of protein, 50 or fewer grams of carbs coming from green veggies, dairy and berries.  

This is is latively strict, but it works.  

Good luck!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

califsleevin
on 6/29/15 10:43 pm - CA

The carbs and fats don't make any real difference as neither can be too far out of line if the calories and protein are within normal post-op WLS limits. With your starting weight of 240, I can assume that you are an average to shorter than average woman with a moderate low to mid 40's BMI, which implies that your calorie intake is the main reason for slower than desired loss rate - many women in that range will be maintaining in the 1200 calorie range, give or take a bit, so you need to drop your calories into the 6-800 range to get an effective caloric deficit to drive your loss.

If you aren't weighing/measuring the food that you are eating, it is very easy to under-estimate your intake. Also, our estimation of full isn't always so good, particularly early on, so it's best to measure out a reasonable amount based upon your nominal starting stomach size (if your surgeon told you what it was) - maybe 3 oz or a quarter cup to start - and see how that works. You shouldn't be getting overly full on that amount, but should be satisfied if it's primarily protein.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

BeachHopper
on 6/29/15 10:52 pm

Thank you all for your replies. I truly appreciate all the feed back. I will begin to really increase my water intake. 

Califsleevin... yes you are correct. Im 5'3. Up until week 6 i was eating approx 600 calories. Then my Dr said i was in "starvation mode" and to increase to min. 1000 calories a day. The following week i finally lost 3 pounds... but since then its still been at a stand still. Maybe i should go back to 600 again.  Ugh... my body hates me!!!! 

toddwho23
on 6/30/15 8:55 am

I am taller than you, but also have hypothyroidism, so I can relate to the low energy it can cause. I'm also a lax exerciser (any possible way to avoid it, I will). That being said, I concur with the others about the importance of measuring your food. Food scales are roughly 25 bucks at Target and a true investment in your health. I measure everything that is not pre-packaged (e.g., yogurt cups, string cheese, protein bars).

I am 5 months out on the 2nd and 75 pounds down as of today. My nutritionist and surgeon insist on the following numbers: 1000 calories a day (regardless of exercise regime), 80-100 protein, and under 50 carbs. I usually hit my calorie threshold within 100 and always meet my protein goals. Carbs are harder to manage due to fiber and net carbs, but rarely do I go over my 50 limit. I'm happy with my progress so far and feel this is the best plan for me. Every surgeon/nutritionist is different.

In terms of carbs, make sure they're worth it. Cake is good, but it's empty calories and too many carbs. It can also be a trigger for many. My weakness is chips, so I steer clear of them, including the Quest protein chips or high protein quinoa chips.

Stay strong and really being to be conscious of what's going in - estimating and guessing is what got us to the point of needing surgery in the first place.

Deb

BeachHopper
on 6/30/15 2:45 pm

Thank you again to ALL of you for your suggestion and opinions! I have printed out this entire thread and will make all the changes to get me to goal. What a great site to be a part of!! 

Most Active