Depression, hunger, weakness - 2 weeks postop

TexanSleever86
on 7/1/15 4:19 pm
VSG on 06/17/15

Thanks for the reply.  I am very hungry - my doctor says I am part of the half that still feel hungry.  The problem is lack of appetite.  After talking to my Dr today I am back on clear liquids and will be reintroducing full liquids and puree again until I can tolerate them.  :/

TiaHa49
on 6/29/15 10:18 pm - Cleveland, OH

Aww Honey I'm sorry!

You just had major surgery not to mention abdominal surgery is one of the eorst.  Your hormones are going bananas right now from surgery. Also, hormones ate stored in fat and you are in weightless mode. Top it with the antidepressant or lack there of and it indeed makes for misery. 

Talk to your pdoc and see if you can either get a liquid firm or one that dissolves on your tongue. It will get into your blood stream much faster.  Also see if your dosages can b split up...at least for a while. 

Mine for BPD 2 is Lamictal/Limotrigene.  Pdoc insists on tabs that dissolve on the tongue for any type of abdominal surgery. Mine is split up 3xs a day which is a hassle.  However, she ran a lab to check the level which they generally don't for this med and it was good. With that said, I do believe her as my pre albumin is still low after 26 mos. Gotta b something to it.

Just go with it for now. Take it easy and take care of u. Don't force what you can't do. Stick to liquids, whichever ones u can. Your body will handle it.

Peace, 

T

TiaHa49
on 6/29/15 10:24 pm - Cleveland, OH

Please DONT Mind MY MIS spells...it's the damn phone. 

ny who I was thinking. ..have u tried Unjury chicken flavor protein?  That got me through for 10.5 mos. I couldn't do any protein shakes.

Tia

StephK10
on 6/30/15 9:38 am

I'm with Tia on Unjury Chicken Soup.  That stuff got me through!

As for your depression, I also agree with everyone else. In addition to not getting your meds, all of a sudden your stomach is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.  You're absorbing meds at a very different rate. Plus, as others have said, your body is releasing all sorts of hormones.  And you just had major surgery with tons of anesthesia and a radical change to your body. 

I'm so sorry you're facing all of this.  It's incredibly overwhelming those first few weeks out.  Plant yourself firmly on this board and write messages constantly. This group will see you through!  Additionally, do you have a talk therapist in addition to your mental health meds?  That could be really helpful right now as well.

I'll be thinking of you!

Height: 5'7" HighW: 266 SSW: 253 Surgery date: 11/17/14 CW 165.4

(FIRST GOAL OF 170 REACHED 6/30/15)  NEW GOAL: 159 (BMI of "normal")

M1: 24 M2: 15 M3: 11  M4: 10  M5: 8  M6: 8 M7: 5 M8: 3 M9: 3

TexanSleever86
on 7/1/15 4:25 pm
VSG on 06/17/15

Thanks for the reply.  I have appts with my psychiatrist and psychologist next week.  Hopefully they can clear that up for me.  As far as not being able to tolerate anything... even the unjury chicken soup makes me queasy.  It is a *little* better if I mix it with campbell's chicken soup (strained).  For some reason all of the protein powders and drinks taste overly sweet and make me gag.  My surgeon told me to dial it back down to clear liquids and get rehydrated then start moving up again.  ugh!

(deactivated member)
on 6/30/15 10:47 am

I also take meds for depression, anxiety and panic attacks I had a terrible time in the hosp bc they wouldn't give me my meds. I know what you are going through. My husband was driving me home from the hosp and I was taking those pills on route home> I was off for a couple of days but Ihad other medical issues to deal with too. Your wt loss is great, I wish I did better in that department. Go to your dr til you are feeling better. Please. depression is no joke. Be well

TexanSleever86
on 7/1/15 4:26 pm
VSG on 06/17/15

Thanks for the support.  I will be seeing my psych next week to talk about doubling my dose to twice daily at my surgeon's recommendation.  So much at once!

csbsteph
on 6/30/15 9:58 pm - AL
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm sorry you're having a hard time.  Right now your body is healing and you will be tired for months at least 3 months you will be bad tired and will have to take naps if you can and don't feel guilty for having to take them.  Your hormones are also out of whack/in shock from your surgery.  I don't know the medical term for that for us ladies but I was a mess and had mood swings for a little over  3 months until I got back on my regular dosage of anti-depressants, you might consider seeing your gyn for some hormone testing.  About the hunger; your mind thinks it's hungry but actually your tummy probably isn't, I know it was hard watching folks eat but it was just your brain making you think you were hungry and wishing you could have what they were having...head hunger.  These problems will pass, you will remain tired until you find out if your iron or B-12 levels are low, taking vitamins is REALLY important.  When I miss doses of the vitamins and supplements that I take even now having had surgery over a year ago I get tired so be sure you get those vitamins in.  someone else above mentioned unjury chicken flavored protein and that got me through, but you can also buy a food processor and puree some canned chicken along with some chicken broth until it's very runny/soupy and that will help.  Hang it there, it all gets better with time.  The hardest part is behind you just take it easy on yourself, enjoy the time in the pool, rest when your body is tired and bask in the glory of what you've already lost.  Hang in there and get well soon

With God ALL things are possible! VSG 3/13/14 Dr. John Mathews

TexanSleever86
on 7/1/15 4:31 pm
VSG on 06/17/15

Thanks for the reply.  I am taking tons of vitamins - I was already on Iron and Vit D before surgery bc of issues caused by my gall bladder (fun times!).  I think the iron and Vit D are the hardest to replace right now because they don't make chewables or gummies with as high of a dose as I was on.  The hormone thing is no joke, either.  I started my cycle 2 weeks early while I was in the hospital - also fun.  It was like my birth control was obsolete.  I don't really have any head hunger - I have zero appetite for anything right now.  But my stomach hurts and is empty and just growls and growls - feels like stomach hunger.  My surgeon said about half of his patients have stomach hunger.  Back to clear liquids then I am working my way back up again.  I wish I could just lay in the pool all day!

tstoked12
on 7/3/15 2:40 pm

Hey friend.  Personally, I think some of these people on here who have been sleeved for awhile have short memories, and forget how hard this is in the beginning. Not just the food part, but the mental part.  I am in the same boat sister.  I am almost five weeks post op and it has been really hard.  The weakness is killer.  I sometimes feel like I can't lift my arm I am so exhausted.  I am still on liquids and purees.  I have tried incorporating other food slowly and it is a no go.  My stomach will not hold anything down.  Not even soft veggies. 

As for the mental part, it's even harder.  I am excited about the numbers on the scale, but it's hard not eating.  When you go to gatherings and out to dinner, and you can't eat, it's tough.  You know you've made the right decision, but food has been a huge priority and comfort for years.  It's a hard thing to give up.  Especially when you' haven't chewed a piece of food in over a month.  

I've realized that people on here mean well, and have great advice, but can be preachy and judgmental.  Ignore them.  Only you know what's in your head.  It's okay to feel down.  Just try to keep your chin up.  We can both do this.  

Most Active