insurance not covering my surgery

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/29/15 5:21 pm - OH

As the others said, this doesn't make any sense.  I cannot imagine that the surgeons office even scheduled the surgery (let alone performed it) without getting approval from your insurance company, especially since the surgeon's office knows full well that a lot of insurance policies do not cover weight-loss surgery!

You said that they didn't pay for it "2 x".  What does that mean?  What kind of communication do you have from them (and what is their given reason for refusing to pay it)?

Is the $26,000 the full cost of the surgery or is it some portion that they will not pay? Somethign just doesn't add up.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

(deactivated member)
on 6/30/15 10:52 am

my dr's office policy is that there is always a second dr in the surgery. so they were each charged $13,000.

Laura in Texas
on 6/30/15 7:10 pm

If the 26,000 is for the surgeons, how much do you owe the hospital?

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

mickeymantle
on 6/30/15 9:14 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

stuff like this is not unusual  ,my hubby got a refusal letter the Friday before he had life saving  surgery for cancer on monday

the surgeons office got on the phone with the insurance company after 5pm and found out a wrong digit in the procedure  code was the problem and got it fixed 

keep fighting , bankruptcy is also an option , I know a person that lost there house to a non covered medical procedure and could have went bankrupt instead and keep there house with the same credit problems

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Tracy D.
on 6/30/15 12:57 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Yes, this exact thing happened to my husband.  He met all the qualifications and his insurance company decided at the last minute NOT to cover it because his high blood pressure (a pre-existing condition) was controlled by medication.  Basically, they pulled a fast one on us at the last minute.  But insurance companies always tell you in writing if they will cover something or not and hospitals always verifiy coverage ahead of time.  I know this because I work for a hospital. 

My surgeon was smart enough not to schedule the surgery until after he got a letter from our secondary insurance carrier saying that they would pay for this. We still spent the last 12 months going 'round and 'round with both companies but BCBS finally paid the hospital bill to the tune of $31,000.  That was just hospital charges, which didn't include anesthesia or surgeon fees.  

If you proceeded with a surgery without written verification from your insurance company that you were approved, you may be well and truly screwed.  Because all insurance companies make it crystal clear in the outline of benefits that they will only pay for non-emergency surgeries if it is cleared with them ahead of time.  Regardless of what your doctor says.  Doctors don't make the rules on these things - insurance companies can and do.  

Good luck - but be prepared for a long, hard fight on this one.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

nugett06
on 6/30/15 6:52 pm
VSG on 07/16/15

I am very curious as to how this actually happened. I cant believe a respectable surgeon would operate on you without ins approval or payment in hand. My surgeon wouldn't even give me a date without ins approval in hand. Now they did take care of getting it for me. I didn't have to do anything except bring them paperwork that they requested. And my ins company mailed me a copy of the approval for my records. I hope you get this resolved because $26k is a lot of money.

SATXVSG
on 7/1/15 5:24 am - Selma(San Antonio), TX
VSG on 04/22/14

Just as an aside, my surgeon billed the insurance company something like $10k but the final payment from BCBS was right around $1100.  $13K for the surgeon fee is ridiculous.  My insurance covered me at 80% and I think between me and the insurance, we paid the doctors, hospital,  etc, about $22K for my surgery.  The hospital got most of that.   My surgeon offers a VSG cash option of $15K all inclusive.  A friend in NW Arkansas says he has be quoted $12.5K all inclusive for the VSG.

Surgery Date 04-22-14 HW 2011 388(lost 60lbs on WW, regained 40) Surgery Consult Weight 1/10/14 - 367 SW 357 - CW 9/15 210.

Stalls are your body's way of telling you not to get too cocky.

5K - 1st 59:00(9/14) PR 33:45(9/15)

10K - 1:14(10/15) 1/2 - 1st 3/20/16

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/1/15 8:08 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Costs can vary a LOT between doctors, different parts of the country, etc. Here in Arizona, my surgeon quotes $24k for self-pay VSG.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/1/15 8:24 am - OH

What Julie said.  The surgeons I work for here in Ohio charge $22,500 for self-pay VSG.  They charge $14,000 for self-pay lap band.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active