Is this normal?

Bryanphr
on 6/28/15 5:37 am

i had the sleeve on 6/9 - and have been getting in my 60 - 80 protein & 64 fluids - shakes, water - recently added a tablespoon of hummus once a day - having ice pops once a day - BUT have only lost 9 lbs since surgery - I feel a bit disappointed - what am I doing wrong?

Dan1962
on 6/28/15 7:16 am - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

There are a number of factors that impact the rate of your loss.  First 9# is not bad.  I averaged 14# a month so you are doing fine.  Your starting weight and pre-op weight loss have a big impact too.  Just keep doing what your doing and you will be fine.

dtaylor24
on 6/28/15 7:25 am - TN
VSG on 06/09/15

First of all, I am sure you're doing nothing wrong. I to had my surgery on June 9th and lost 13 lbs but have stalled as of this last week. As long as you're following you surgeon's plan, it's pretty common to hit a few stalls along the way. Go up to the magnifying wand at the top of the right hand side and type in 3 week stalls. Mine so happened to fall on the 2 week stall. It's frustrating but the scales will get to moving soon! Keep drinking those fluids and moving those legs! Good luck

(deactivated member)
on 6/28/15 8:56 am

Sure, it's normal!

While it may be frustrating for you that the weight isn't melting off at a rate at which you hoped for, your weight loss is still very much in the normal range.

There are a few things to consider:

1. How much weight did you gain in the hospital from the IV fluids? I gained 12 pounds while in the hospital. It took a week just to lose that extra water weight. Then I started to lose from my surgery weight.

2. If you are a "light weight" or someone who is on the shorter side with a relatively lower body weight than a taller person with a much higher BMI, you will lose at a slower rate because your calorie deficit will not be as great. There is NOTHING you can do about that.

3. Age and previous activity level and current muscle mass will influence to a great degree your rate of weight loss. The older one is, the less active one is and having a lower muscle mass will slow weight loss rates down.

4. If you lost a good chunk of weight on your pre op diet the first chunk of weight coming off post VSG is usually smaller than if you did not lose a big chunk of weight prior to your surgery.

What you must remember is that your weight loss journey is yours. The only thing you can control is what you put in your mouth. How your body deals with it is your body's thing. You need to honor your body and let it do its work in its own time. The weight will come off as long as you are sticking with a good plan and being honest with yourself about your intake. Weigh and measure, be honest and stay the course.

You are doing great!

Sutterbos
on 6/28/15 1:05 pm
VSG on 06/21/12

Completely normal  - I lost 15 pounds in the 1st 2 weeks then stalled for a long time.  I remember being so depressed and thinking "why did I do this to myself and it's not even working!"  140 pounds later I can honestly say just keep working the plan and the weight WILL come off.  Congrats on 9 pounds gone and keep at it!!!!

Most Active