Feeling discouraged

tstoked12
on 6/28/15 11:44 am

While I am very happy with the numbers on the scale, I am discouraged with how I am feeling.  I am drinking in the range of 64 oz, but cannot get down anything other than liquids.  I am so sick of soft food!  More than that, I am really feeling the side effects of no food.  I got so dizzy the other day I had to sit down in the middle of hallway at my school.  I am in nursing school and have to have energy.  

I know everyone's body is different, but when did you guys introduce foods?  I even tried a healthy broccoli soup the other day, and it made me so sick I ended up throwing up.  I read the food lists, and I'm going into week 4.  According to that I should be introducing meat.  I can't even eat soft vegetables.  Help.  At times I'm starting to regret my decision.  

cappy11448
on 6/28/15 12:02 pm

My program doesn't introduce solid foods until week 6, and doesn't add red meats until three months out.  Can you hold down puddings and jello?  yogurt?  Are you getting your protein in? 

I had trouble with dizziness as well, and my cardiologist said to add salt to my diet, and that helped.  It was low blood pressure.  I also added some carbs back into my diet thinking it was low blood sugar, but that didn't fix it.

Hang in there.  The first few months getting used to the new sleeve are not fun, but it will be worth it when you lose the weight and feel so much healthier.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Stacy_WLS
on 6/28/15 12:27 pm

People progress at different stages.   If you can't get anything but liquid down make sure you have enough protein shakes

i second what carol said about salt. By our blood pressure has likely dropped significantly and additional salt helps.  

Also talk to your surgeon if you think there is an issue with how you are progressing   

good  luck!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

psychoticparrot
on 6/28/15 12:55 pm

If you're already taking meds for high BP, your BP can go into the tank after surgery. For about a week shortly after surgery, I got so dizzy, I nearly fainted several times. Doctor took me off BP med. Feel ever so much better.

It's unlikely you're dizzy from lack of food, but still, ask your surgeon about your eating problems. 

I know how it feels to think you made the wrong decision about having the surgery. For about 6-8 weeks post-op (with complications), I was certain I had made the worst mistake of my life. It's called buyer's remorse, and it will pass as you iron out your temporary problems in recovery. I know that sounds glib, but I've been there, and it's awful while it lasts, but it will pass.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

tstoked12
on 6/28/15 7:41 pm

Thank you!  I was not on BP meds, I really think it is my lack of iron.  I just feel so weak.  And by meats I meant tuna and soft fish.  I am trying to stay positive.  You're right, I am teetering on loving my decision and hating it!  I guess I have to stop comparing myself to other people.  A girl who had surgery on the same day as me is practically eating normal.  I'm not trying to eat steak or anything, I'd just love to get cottage cheese haha  

Thank you again for the message.  Feeling less alone.  

psychoticparrot
on 6/28/15 5:41 pm

One other thing -- Zofran may help your nausea. Check with your surgeon.

psychoticparrot

Cuparian
on 6/29/15 8:13 am
VSG on 05/13/15

Different things work for different folks, do you have access to a nutritionist?

I am five weeks post surgery and I am still on baby food and protein shakes.

The fact you are getting all that liquid in a fantastic!!

D

HW 380 SW 352.5

Most Active