Can't stop thinking about food!

ElizaM
on 6/21/15 7:07 am
VSG on 07/24/14

I know this part is hard, but believe me, it will be gone in a flash. Your full time job right now is your recovery, so focus on walking, getting in fluids, and taking care of yourself. Tell yourself, "I can do anything for a week." I remember walking on the treadmill at the gym those first few weeks and it was nothing but food TV shows in between food commercials! It's hard, but believe me, you will be able to eat real food in just a few weeks. 

You will look back on this time as a blip. I wish you lots of success. 

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

Youresuchaloser
on 6/21/15 4:07 pm

I'm on day 12 today and I don't want anything.  HOWEVER, the first full week after surgery all I could think about was pizza.  I think I would've done anything for a bite of pizza.  Head hunger is real, but it's like quitting smoking cold turkey.  The first week is brutal but it does get better!!

28paws
on 6/21/15 5:49 pm

Yep!  I think I'd give just about anything for a pizza!  It's funny how food controls us... And sad!  I am using this time to try and deal with the head games, but some minutes I'm stronger than others.  I ordered a coloring book from Amazon and I'm also trying to journal my thoughts and feelings.  Idol hands and all that... Thanks again everyone!

poplargreys
on 6/21/15 6:56 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

I spent hours and hours on Pinterest during my first few days home from the hospital, pinning hundreds of WLS-friendly recipes and cooking tips. I didn't have any desire to actually eat (still don't, at 12wks out, but I know not everybody experiences this) but researching recipes and planning for the awesome stuff that I *would* be able to eat was much happier than mourning the foods that I had chosen to leave out of my diet after surgery.

tstoked12
on 6/21/15 8:55 pm

I can relate.  Right after my surgery I started thinking about everything I should have ate before the surgery.  But then I remember I didn't go through this for nothing.  I had bad gas pains after surgery, and don't get me started on that drain removal lol.  I am still drinking liquids, and it's still tough.  Food was a crutch for a long time.  I think that when we can finally eat REAL food with some texture, it will be easier.  But every time I think about junk food, I think about that gas pain.  I don't want this to be for naught.  Hang in there friend. You can do it!

28paws
on 6/21/15 9:02 pm

Thank you so much!  I will be keeping you in my prayers as we walk this path to a brighter future!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/22/15 4:48 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Here's what I told myself after surgery when head hunger was gnawing at me:  There is no food you won't be able to eat again.

The good news is that many of the foods I loved before WLS don't control me every day like they did before.  For example, I haven't had pizza in over 1-1/2 years.  It's not something that I crave.  I can find healthy alternatives that satisfy my cravings (like Baked Ricotta from Eggface's website).  Some foods are tough to see and not want to eat, but I was very much on plan for the first year.  It gets harder down the road, so keep your determination and motivation for as long as you can.

I'm one of those idjits tha****ched the Food Channel right after surgery, but it comforted me.  I also bought "Weight Loss Surgery Cookbook for Dummies" and read that while I was on my liquid phase to start giving me ideas on what I would be eating in my post WLS life.  Prior to surgery I ate junk food daily.  Now I don't like eating processed foods if I can avoid it.  I was never into cooking before, but I am now. 

You won't believe how your mindset can change in a post WLS world.  It's up to you to make the changes, but it's so worth it 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active