Pain and nausea with every bite

Beverly H.
on 6/16/15 4:23 pm
VSG on 05/20/15

I will be 4 weeks post op tomorrow and no matter what I try to eat it hurts to swallow and I find myself gagging. It's all that I can do not to vomit. I get immediate nausea when I try to eat. Is this normal? I'm trying to eat according to plan of soft mashed food. I still can't tolerate protein shakes, they make me sick. Thanks

Bufflehead
on 6/16/15 4:31 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Honestly that sounds a little extreme to me. If I were you I would get in touch with your surgeon just to see if something other than normal healing might be going on. It may very well just be that you need more time to heal, but it can't hurt to run it by your medical team.

Beverly H.
on 6/16/15 4:35 pm
VSG on 05/20/15

I had to talk to the on call Doctor and he says that I'm dehydrated and can go to the hospital for IV fluids or I can try to drink more and rehydrate myself. I'm trying to drink more. 

Oneillch
on 6/16/15 5:36 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

Try some warm broth (with an unflavored or chicken or beef flavored protein powder added) or some decaf or herbal teas. At this point in time drinking something warm may go down easier. Feel better.

Beverly H.
on 6/16/15 5:46 pm
VSG on 05/20/15

I'm drinking decaf tea and so far it's staying down. Thank you everyone for taking the time to help me.

aumedia3
on 6/16/15 5:50 pm

I am 6 weeks post op. I hate protein shakes!!   I was/am able to eat Wendy's chili a few spoons a sitting.  Scrambled cheese eggs and boiled eggs are another way I get my protein in.  Beans also help. For liquids, I was/am able to eat ice chips, sugar free popsicles, and Italian Ice.  I found it hard to drink water and keep it down. 

A few people on this same journey have told me to slow down.  I will tell you the same thing. Slow down.  We have to retrain our brains to match a new and improving bodies.

Good luck!!

Beverly H.
on 6/16/15 6:16 pm
VSG on 05/20/15

Everything that you are eating is exactly what I have been eating. Maybe you are right and I do need to slow down. That makes perfect sense. I am going to work on that! Thanks so much!!

psychoticparrot
on 6/16/15 6:05 pm

I can sympathize. I went to the ER twice for dehydration (and a severe kidney infection it caused) during my first 6 weeks post-op. If your problem is dehydration, it can cause nausea, which of course interferes with taking in enough water. If soft food is causing you pain, go back to liquids. Call your surgeon and demand (if necessary) an anti-nausea medication. Dehydration doesn't usually cause pain, however, so be sure to tell your surgeon about all of your symptoms. 

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Beverly H.
on 6/16/15 6:18 pm
VSG on 05/20/15

I appreciate your advice. I am going to call tomorrow for an anti nausea med. It's so crazy that hasn't even crossed my mind. Thank you 

Sandra F.
on 6/17/15 6:00 am

I had the same problem at about your stage, dehydration that caused nausea.  Sip sip sip!

Most Active