Cholesterol Going Up???

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/10/15 5:29 am

http://authoritynutrition.com/low-carb-diets-and-cholesterol/

Check that. Though not really scentific studies - It offers Some explanation for higher LDL. 

Btw my hdl was 91, ldl 101, triglycerides 58... 

Perfect numbers for me. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Tracy D.
on 6/10/15 7:41 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

This was good reading!  My last tests showed:  Chol 222; Triglycerides 75; HDL 74; LDL 133 and non-HDL chol 148. The elevated Chol and LDL have remained constant since I hit maintenance 18 months ago.  

According to this article, the LDL particle number is a more important indicator of potential problems - I've never had that tested or it's never been reported.  The article mentions that if non-HDL cholesterol is "normal" (and mine is) that the elevated LDL isn't so much of an issue. That was good to read.  

I have a higher risk of CHD because my mother had 2 major heart attacks by the time she was 42 and had early-onset CHD.  Because of my family history, my doctor would like to see my LDL closer to 100.  I will continue to eat my avocado and nuts every day and will focus more on the preparation of foods. 

Thanks for the article, Hala! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/10/15 10:58 am

red wine.  raises HDL... 

genetically - my family has elevated cholesterol.  so did I .. until I quit smoking... 

I do eat a lot of fatty nuts (brazil, macadamia, almonds, coconut).  And I don't eat as many the others - cashew, pistachio. 

I also avoid foods that I have allergies to. 

allergies =inflammation, inflammation = elevated cholesterol.  (we need cholesterol to "fix" broken cells, capillaries, etc.. etc etc...) 

less inflammation = less cell damage - less need for cholesterol..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Tracy D.
on 6/10/15 11:31 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I rarely if ever drink so red wine isn't an option for me - lol!  

I will have to look at the whole inflammation issue because that makes PERFECT sense!  For me I know those foods are sugar, grains...and probably dairy but DAMN IT I don't want to give up my cheese! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

happyteacher
on 6/10/15 11:14 am

I went up too, and I was for sure not putting down high cholesterol diet levels. My bariatric center said they had a pattern of patients who experienced this. Even though my levels are high, my ratios are stellar so no drugs. Hopefully that is similar for you.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active