Are you glad you went with sleeve or wish you had bypass?

Jp2lose
on 6/5/15 1:13 pm - Omaha, NE
I've lost 100% of my excess weight with the sleeve and glad I didn't get the RNY. Because I'm a runner now I'm actually having a hard time eating enough. I couldn't imagine the problems I'd have right now if I'd have gotten a by-pass.

Godlychick
on 6/5/15 7:11 pm

Thank you everyone

KathyA999
on 6/6/15 2:11 pm

I spent quite a bit of time looking into people's post-op experiences, and found some fairly scary things about RNY.  Granted, some are quite rare, but still I didn't want to run the risk.  Thinks like seizure disorder. (In fairness, I did find one person who developed seizures a few years after having VSG, but there are many, many who develop it after RNY. Bariatric surgeons deny that it's related, but again, didn't want to take the risk.).  Reactive hypoglycemia, where your blood sugar is seriously out of control and requires lifelong limitations on what and when you must eat.  Intestinal blockages.  These things, with the exception of the one person mentioned above, don't seem to be reported after VSG. 

And then there are the usual reasons - the remnant stomach that's left languishing inside the abdominal cavity. Personally this seems weird to me, almost creepy, but medically it means you shouldn't take NSAIDS because of the risk of developing an ulcer in the remnant, which is inaccessible for scoping and treatment.  The lack of a pyloric valve to control delivery of food into the small intestine.  The bypassing of a portion of the small intestine, where critical vitamins are normally extracted, meaning a fairly robust vitamin/supplement regimen.  (I take vitamins and supplements also, mostly because of the smaller volume of food I eat, but nutrients are extracted normally from the food I DO eat. And in fairness, removal of the fundus in VSG means removal of the area where most intrinsic factor is produced, which is required for proper absorption of B12, so I will have to take B12 sublingually for the rest of my life.)

In any case, I'm VERY happy with my surgery.  I lost about 100 lbs, give or take, and have maintained my weight since reaching maintenance.  Good luck with your decision!

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Most Active