Alcohol and the Sleeve

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/3/15 7:59 am

You can use just tryptophan or 5-HTTP. 

just be aware that tryptophan can create "hangover like effect" for some people. 

And to be able to convert tryptophan into 5-HTP in our body - we need to make sure we have enough B6..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Grim_Traveller
on 6/3/15 6:28 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Reonses to alcohol after WLS are all over the board. Some get drunk really fast, then sober up equally fast. Others never feel tipsy at all (but are still legally drunk.) And everything in between. It doesn't matter what surgery you had. The same range of responses to alcohol have been reported by all.

There is some disagreement about what causes transfer addiction. It might be psychological, it might be physiological. The bottom line is, it's very real, and has ruined lives. I have seen many people swear they never had a drinking problem, and wouldn't develop one now. And then they do.

We get obese from eating too much food. But we HAVE to eat something, every day. And it can be really hard to moderate food. There is NO need to drink alcohol. Not a drop, not ever. If it's an issue, or could be, just stop. Find a way. It's a lot easier to never start, if you haven't already.

Trouble sleeping is not a good excuse for drinking. It's a short-sighted and lazy solution. Try something else, please.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Tracy D.
on 6/2/15 11:56 pm, edited 6/3/15 12:13 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

ALL weight loss surgery patients have a higher risk of alcoholism post-op.  That's because instead of using food to push down our feelings, to calm down/wind down, relax, etc. we switch to booze.  Which is exactly what you've described doing with your wine.  

As for alcohol making you sleepy, that's just an initial reaction.  Wine and hard liquor are notorious for actually making it MORE difficult to stay asleep.  Your sugar takes a nose-dive after a few hours of riding the alcohol high...and you wake up.  And stay awake! 

You need to put down the alcohol and find another coping mechanism to wind down at night - seriously.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/3/15 7:55 am

listen to what everyone said. 

in addition - smaller stomach means less intrinsic factor and enzymes that helps to break down the alcohol in the stomach.  Add drinking alcohol on empty sleeve...so there is no food to interfere with alcohol absorption.  That way alcohol gets absorbed very fast creating a buzz that comes fast and strong.. then that diminishes and we want more... 

put the wine away -  unless you are willing to become a alcoholic .. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

wyo_sarah
on 6/3/15 9:43 am

I didn't read everyone's responses so this may be a repeat.  But, I take my calcium at night with vitamin D and magnesium and it really helps me sleep.  I can tell a difference when I forget to take it. 

My doc said he has had patients die of alcoholism after having WLS.  I don't think the type of surgery is the problem, but transferring the addiction from food to something else.  Did you used to snack in the evenings?  Perhaps that is why you are drinking, because you are used to snacking.  Maybe keep a glass of water handy and find a hobby to keep your hands busy.  I crochet and play games on my phone.

hockeymom8016
on 6/3/15 10:21 am - NJ

Personally, having lived with an alcoholic, anyone surgery or no surgery can become an alcoholic. It is not a matter of how your body processes the alcohol it is a matter of drinking too much.

samanthalc
on 6/3/15 2:30 pm
with

If your primary concern is getting to sleep, try guided meditation.  (Use youtube for some samples.)  It sounds hokey, but my surgeon recommended it, and it really has helped me.

(deactivated member)
on 6/3/15 6:13 pm

You've gotten enough good feedback, but I did want to say "hi" and good to "see" you again!