Surgery Scheduled - A few Post-Op Diet Questions!

(deactivated member)
on 5/30/15 4:03 am, edited 5/30/15 4:04 am

Just a couple of things to think about:

1. Pureed meat is going to be really hard for you to get down immediately post op. Seriously consider drinking protein shakes to get your protein in for the first month to 8 weeks. I'm over 3 years out and I still include a protein shake made with almond milk each day to make sure I get adequate protein.

2. Why are you not concerned about calories? My observation has been that people *****ly only on the restriction don't lose too well after the first 5 or 6 months. If you get accustomed to logging in your food - even early out when you are eating so damned little - I think it will serve you much better in the long run.  You really want to set yourself up for success. Tracking calories, protein and carbohydrates is a great tool for continued weight loss once past the first few months.

I'm glad you're so excited. VSG really is a great tool to help you get healthy, but remember it's only a tool. It takes a lot of work and commitment to lose 150 pounds!

FuturePinUp
on 5/31/15 3:30 pm
On May 30, 2015 at 11:03 AM Pacific Time, kairk wrote:

Just a couple of things to think about:

1. Pureed meat is going to be really hard for you to get down immediately post op. Seriously consider drinking protein shakes to get your protein in for the first month to 8 weeks. I'm over 3 years out and I still include a protein shake made with almond milk each day to make sure I get adequate protein.

2. Why are you not concerned about calories? My observation has been that people *****ly only on the restriction don't lose too well after the first 5 or 6 months. If you get accustomed to logging in your food - even early out when you are eating so damned little - I think it will serve you much better in the long run.  You really want to set yourself up for success. Tracking calories, protein and carbohydrates is a great tool for continued weight loss once past the first few months.

I'm glad you're so excited. VSG really is a great tool to help you get healthy, but remember it's only a tool. It takes a lot of work and commitment to lose 150 pounds!

I think you misunderstand.

1) My meal plan involves 3 shakes a day so no worries there. I was referring primarily to the fact that I can have mushed food (including meat) from the get-go (without a liquid phase) so that's what I was hoping to get tips on...preparing. LOL.

2) Also, I'm not concerned about the LACK of calories. I am not relying on the restriction. I have always logged my food and as a previous student of nutrition and have always relied on the hard and fast "do not go under 1200 calories a day rule." When I log my post-op meals, they come in at 600-700 calories a day. I'm not focusing on that number because it IS low, and choosing rather to pay attention to my protein, carbs, and fat.

VSG is absolutely only a tool and it's a tool I am excited to have at my disposal as a lifetime aid, not a temporary one.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

ashley5886
on 5/30/15 11:07 am
with

So exciting!! Good luck!

As far as pureed food, I have a ninja processor.  My doctor actually suggested eating certain baby foods to get protein...which I did not do, kinda freaked me out lol. I know all surgeons are different so i'm not surprised you are not allowed to eat veggies/fruits for the first month but I am surprised you are basically eating only meat that month (mine was the complete opposite!).  My mom also told me a trick with cooking ground meats, she suggested putting water in the pan and this will not only give you a "soft cooked meat" but also very small chunks of meat, so that might also be helpful. Try this delish recipe if it is approved!

Mexican Chicken

Ingredients:

• 1 can chunk white meat chicken drained (larger size can preferred)
  • 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
  • 1 to 1 1/2 cups salsa (depending on taste)

Directions:

• Place chicken, beans, and salsa into a blender or food processor
  • Blend until no chunks of chicken are visible
  • Scoop serving into a bowl
  • Sprinkle low fat shredded cheddar of colby jack cheese on top
  • Microwave 1 to 1.5 minutes or until cheese is melted
  • Top with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt or fat free sour cream & more salsa if you wish

Regarding the protein intake, it is so funny how different we are after surgery.  I have always been, for lack of a better term, a thirsty person, like literally sipping all day, bathroom every 45 minutes and even wake up thirsty several times a night so I was super worried about the restrictions of drinking after surgery (worried I would have dry mouth or try to chug).  Once that day came and even still now (5 weeks post op) I drink so much less.  Of course the days after surgery you have to MAKE yourself drink to meet your protein and liquid goals.  Thankfully I had a friend of mine with me the first two days who kept track of what I drank, how much and yelled at me when I was behind lol  The concern is possible dehydration.  Anyways, If you keep up a protein shake a day you should be able to meet the protein requirements.  You won't eat but a bite or two at each meal so you have to make it count!  I haven't yet, but I plan on getting some unflavored protein powder to add to foods that don't have enough.  For example, if I am invited to lunch right now it may be more practical for me to get soup since I can tolerate a lot more soup that meat and that would keep me from having everyone in the restaurant ask me whats wrong, is my food bad, and am I ok but if the soup offered is like split pea soup then adding some protein would be perfect!

Anyways, hope this helps and good luck!

FuturePinUp
on 5/31/15 3:34 pm

Thank you!!!

My meal plan calls for 3 protein shakes a day so I should be all set there. I also saved that recipe because it looks absolutely delicious!! I cannot envision eating any meat-like baby food but maybe if I find mushy fruit and maybe add a bit of protein powder, it can't be THAT bad? LOL. 

Also you made me feel better about the drinking post-surgery. I am exactly the same way when it comes to water intake. My friends joke that I must drink at least a gallon a day. I am worried about the restriction when it comes to that, but am hoping I naturally adjust, like you did.

Let me know if you find a good, generally flavorless protein powder for situations like those!! :D

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer