Stomach Inflammation & Polyps

Ready2goNOW
on 5/22/15 2:52 pm

Hello VSG Family!

I had my last clearance test this morning...the endoscopy...and of course there had to be a 'problem.' Problem is my description...my surgeon just stopped by after to tell me there was 'inflammation' in my stomach & some polyps. He said we'd follow up at our appt. in June.

He did ask if I had a history of taking any meds for the inflammation - I have never had any stomach problems in my life!

Of course I came home & got on the web to research, but really found nothing except both inflammation & polyps are more common as we age, and I am 58. It also said taking NSAIDS can cause this...I only take generic Tylenol. I have increased that the past month due to pain in my knees from walking.

2 questions:

1) Anyone else get this when their endoscopy was done?

2) Would it prevent me getting the sleeve? I heard severe acid reflux can bar you from this type of WLS...

I appreciate any responses...my anxiety is high!

Kathy

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/22/15 4:15 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I'd think that if it was serious enough to affect surgery, the doctor would have said so, or mentioned needing to put you on medication or something in the interim. Hopefully it's no big deal!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

dtaylor24
on 5/22/15 7:09 pm - TN
VSG on 06/09/15

I recently had my endoscopy & when it was over the surgeon said I had mild gastritis & a hiatal hernia that he will have to repair during surgery. I have taken tons of NSAIDS. Not sure if this caused my gastritis. When I went in for my follow up appointment he didn't mention the gastritis and how it would affect my sleeve. I do have severe acid reflux but I take Prevacid and I am sure once he repairs my hernia that to will fix the problem. Don't stress to much because my surgeon said the same thing. My surgery is June 9th. Good luck to you!

Ready2goNOW
on 5/23/15 5:20 am

Thank you both for getting back to me!

After researching the web & finding nothing of concern about this condition (inflammation) I was somewhat relieved, but curious how I can have it...or gastritis...when I have NEVER had stomach problems.

I also used our handy magnifying glass tool on here to see if there have been posts about this in the past, and did find pretty much the same info I found on the web.

My major concern is if this is related to GERD which could rule me out for the sleeve...no way do I want the band or RNY.

so again, thank you for taking the time to respond. I feel better now!  

Kathy

dtaylor24
on 5/23/15 10:25 am - TN
VSG on 06/09/15

That is true, normally if you have Crohn's disease they wouldn't be able to do the surgery due to GERD. I came home after my endoscopy & started googling gastritis myself. Your surgeon will be able to tell you if you tested for H pylori & if so give you antibiotics before your surgery date. Once again he didn't mention if I had that & the patient before me, I overheard the receptionist tell her to take medication before her surgery because she tested postive for it. Keep in touch as I am curious how your visit goes! 

happyteacher
on 5/25/15 5:20 pm

Having GERD will not automatically exclude you. I had terrible issues prior. The surgeon found the hiatel hernia in surgery, reparied, and 100% from that point. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

mickeymantle
on 5/23/15 10:42 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

i THINK THAT  A LOT DEPENDS AND WHERE THE POLYPS ARE AND  how bad the inflammation is

he may want to do a biopisi of the polyps to make shore there is no cancer , and remove them during the vsg

he may want to put you on sucralfate   which lines your stomach and protects it

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Lillydivine
on 5/23/15 2:58 pm
VSG on 04/13/15

Honestly, I think your doctor would have said something if there was a problem for surgery. I have both Crohn's disease and Ulcerative Colitis (lucky me. Lol). My surgeon said I can still have wls, but it would have to be the sleeve. I didn't qualify for anything else. So it's possible they can do surgery even if you have a stomach issue. :)

Height 5ft 2in / Highest Weight 277lbs / Surgery April 13, 2015 / Surgery Weight 270lbs / Current Weight 230lbs / Goal 130ibs

Ready2goNOW
on 5/25/15 9:51 am

Thanks for the additional responses.

The consent form I signed before the procedure said they biopsy so I guess I will get those results at my apt 6/2.

I just wish these doctors would not try talking to you while still under sedation! I don't think he would have gone into detail at that point b/c he didn't have all the info.

We'll see..

Kathy

Most Active
Recent Topics