Very positive experience

Island_Guy
on 5/27/15 4:48 am

Hi

I had a sleeve done a few months ago and beforehand used this site a lot for information. It's always hard to sift through lots of information and try to anticipate might happen - I know I read about a lot of challenges people had, so much so that I changed my mind. My experience has been GREAT - so I thought I'd just post about that in case someone is considering a sleeve and is anxious about it. This is just one person's story and some people have many more challenges than I've had, but I'm a regular guy and thought maybe reading about a positive experience might help someone think this surgery through!

I'm two months out now and have lost around 45 pounds since my sleeve, and lost 40 pounds in the two months prior to surgery (I was around 350 at the start). My surgeon was very competent and has a nice practice, and my primary care doc was very supportive and encouraged me with positive stories from her patients and even a few relatives who'd had bariatric surgery. I decided to dramatically change the way I eat two months before surgery - more mirroring what I anticipated the post-surgery diet would be like. Basically went for high-protein, low-carb and really stuck to around 900-1000 calories a day. LOTS of fish - fish is a miracle food! You can buy frozen fish that has something like 100 calories in a piece, dress it up, and it tastes great, is filling, and kept my calories down. Anyway, did everything I was told, lost 40 lbs, then did the surgery.

I worried far more than was necessary! All liquids for a few days before the surgery - really no problem. I kept thinking that this was part of the treatment for a major illness - people with cancer have it much worse and suffer far more through their treatments! So I kept just telling myself that any suffering from pre/post diet was far better than chemo, etc. Really, all liquids simply wasn't a big deal.

Had the surgery - woke up feeling fine. Was groggy the first day, drank the water too fast and threw up twice. I didn't like that BUT I learned not to drink to fast and never threw up again since that first day. Stayed in the hospital three days - until my liquid consumption was sufficient.

The first week was really nothing. Felt perfectly fine, if not a bit bored. Truly felt no hunger and just followed the plans I was given (my primary care doc said it all comes down to being extremely compliant with the surgeon's instructions). So, I just did what they told me to do with no problem. The vitamins were a bit of a pain, but that settled out soon enough. Once thought that a tylenol got stuck in my throat - never had that sensation before - but drank, walked, lied down, and that resolved. Back to work after two weeks home (could have gone back sooner) and just integrated the new eating requirements into my routine.

I have quite a few social engagements at work and decided I just didn't want to deal with that until I was ready, so found a way to dodge dinners, etc. for the first month. The diet was a bit boring at first, but literally I'm two months out and can eat anything - but some foods are more rewarding and satisfying than others. I did notice since about two weeks ago when I could really eat basically anything, I had to be careful to make good choices. There is a real limitation on the volume - so that helps. Syncing eating and drinking takes some adjustment - and quite frankly is likely the biggest challenge. But like everything else, the routine sets in and it's a no brainer.

I was a big water drinker beforehand (and intensified that in the two months before surgery, to get practice drinking all the time) - after surgery, I was a bit annoyed that it took so long to drink a bottle of water. But again, now I'm two months out I can basically drink at my normal volume - with a slight adjustment - so it's super easy to exceed 64 ounces a day.

So I have to say, I've just had completely smooth sailing. It's really true - every day makes everything easier and I've had no suffering at all. I feel completely normal, have adapted to the new eating routine, and am losing weight like mad. My weight loss slowed for several weeks, but as soon as I could eat more types of foods and a slightly greater volume, I (oddly) started to rapidly lose again.

I wish I'd heard more positive stories in advance of my surgery - this is a no brainer. It's been super easy, the changes are rapid and positive, my lifestyle has only improved for the better, and I've had absolutely no discomforts or annoyances from the surgery itself. Surprisingly my primary care doc stopped my BP meds about a month ago, still taking Nexium which I think helps prevent GI discomfort. Starting to notice big, positive changes given the weight loss and improved well-being.

The complications of this surgery are real, and some folks unfortunately are plagued by difficulties. That said, I'm a medical researcher and really looked seriously into the literature on the sleeve (and other surgeries) and was impressed about how positive it was, and how low the complication rates were. From chatting with others and my doctors, my story seems typical - people seem to have a rather straightforward course post-surgery and the changes are rapid and positive. I can vision such a better future now, and am very grateful for the opportunity to have this major moment to make changes that are more consistent with a healthy life.

Very glad to have made this decision, and comparatively speaking, the experience was minimal compared to others facing major illnesses and treatments to address them.

(deactivated member)
on 5/27/15 9:36 am

Glad you're having a positive experience! Maybe someone who is feeling anxious will read this and it will set his or her mind at ease. Wishing you continued success.

SATXVSG
on 5/27/15 9:46 am - Selma(San Antonio), TX
VSG on 04/22/14

I think your story is the norm.   I had a very easy surgery and recovery.   My wife is one month post op and she has had no problems.

Surgery Date 04-22-14 HW 2011 388(lost 60lbs on WW, regained 40) Surgery Consult Weight 1/10/14 - 367 SW 357 - CW 9/15 210.

Stalls are your body's way of telling you not to get too cocky.

5K - 1st 59:00(9/14) PR 33:45(9/15)

10K - 1:14(10/15) 1/2 - 1st 3/20/16

Gwen M.
on 5/27/15 11:24 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Glad things are going so well!  I read tons of positive stories here pre-op, and they all really help affirm my decision.  Hopefully your story will help other people as well :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Recent Topics