Surgery 3/25 8 weeks out and I think I am losing at a snails pace.

philly2dc
on 5/20/15 11:35 am

So I had my surgery on March 25th and of course when you read other peoples stories and look down at the scale I am like WTH. I am also on a site baratric pal (which I love) and have gotten so much advise which have been great. I am just amazed that I can only eat a few spoonsfuls of food and only down 26 pounds, just can't belive it. I just thought I guess that the weight would fall off if you can't eat a darn thing. I guess I will just be pateint and keep eating my small portions and working out and I know eventually I will see some results.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 5/20/15 11:58 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

How much did you expect to lose?

Unless my math fails me, it's been 56 days since you had surgery.  You've lost 26 lbs.  That's slightly over 2 lbs lost per day.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

emelar
on 5/20/15 12:07 pm - TX

Your math has failed you! 

She's averaging about 3 1/4 pounds a week.  If she was averaging 2 pounds a day, I'd want her secret!

on 5/20/15 12:35 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Obviously I wasn't a math major in college.  Ugh.

GooseGirl
on 5/20/15 12:05 pm
VSG on 10/30/14 with

26 lbs in 8 weeks is over 3 lbs a week. I don't think that is bad weight loss. As you said, if you stick with the plan you will see the results. 

emelar
on 5/20/15 12:08 pm - TX

You're doing fine.  No, it doesn't just fall off, but it will come off a long as you stick with your plan.

philly2dc
on 5/20/15 12:27 pm

I gues I thought with half your stomach gone how can you not lose weight at a fast pace.

on 5/20/15 12:39 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

You can actually GAIN weight with half of your stomach gone.  It's all about what you eat.  Are you tracking your food using an app like My Fitness Pal?  

If you eat slider foods like ice cream, crackers, cookies, etc., you will gain weight.  The surgery is only part of the process.  Changing your eating habits is what will sustain weight loss long term.  

Are you attending any support group meetings or having consultations with a dietitian?  It might help you to better manage your expectations.  Because eventually the weight loss will stall or plateau.  Unless you're mentally prepared for it, it's easy to give up and spiral out of control.

psren13
on 5/20/15 12:44 pm - NC
VSG on 03/11/15

A lot also has to do with your age, health, and how much you have to lose to start with.  A person that is in their 20's or 30's with alot of weight to lose (say they weigh over 300) will lose more weight much faster to start with.  So be patient and keep the course.  Look at it this way, you HAVE lost 26lbs.. Not bad.. Good luck

fireangel65
on 5/20/15 12:56 pm
with

Hang in there!  I'm 3 weeks post-op and have dropped 23 pounds.  Nothing since last week.  I have no cheated one bit and doing everything according to plan.  It sucks, but I'm very hopeful. 

Most Active
Recent Topics