X-Post: Chicago-area VSG Surgeon?

Nicolle
on 5/19/15 12:41 pm

Hi, everyone! I used to be on OH often a few years ago. I had the DS 7 years ago, lost and kept off 190 pounds and eat pretty much everything I want. I am still a big proponent of that particular surgery (and surgeon, but he is in California), but I know it is not for everyone.

In fact, I have been talking to a neighbor (in Chicago) about the VSG, which I think might be a better fit for her.  To help her, I wanted to ask for your recommendations on a Chicago-area VSG surgeon who has many satisfied patients with long-term success (3+ years of keeping the excess weight off). One who offers good aftercare and support groups would be ideal.

A friend's adult son had a VSG with Dr. Guske, but he is still just 18 months out, so they are reluctant to give a thumbs up quite yet, although they have been very happy so far.

If you could give me some guidance, I would appreciate it!

Thanks, 

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

Nicki08
on 5/19/15 12:59 pm
VSG on 09/15/14

Dr. Rantis...suburban surgical care

Meghan704
on 5/19/15 2:55 pm
VSG on 06/16/15

Dr. Kane at suburban surgical care aka the Kane center. His father Dr. Kane, Sr is a pioneer in the WLS world and began the practice. I work for alexian brothers hospital (where the practice performs their surgeries) and I can tell you first hand Dr. Kane is a U.S. News top ranked surgeon which is the reason I went with him and only him. 

shes2015
on 5/19/15 3:43 pm

I personally also had Dr. Guske. I am just shy of 4 months out, and I too have been very happy thus far. I believe any surgeon at Suburban Surgical Care, would be a great option.

Stacy_WLS
on 5/19/15 4:15 pm

I had Dr. Tiesenga.  Good surgeon, good follow up care & support groups.  I wasn't a fan of the hospital though.  I'm not sure you need to be 3 years out to know if the surgeon was successful at that point it is on the patient.  If I ate whatever I wanted I would for sure gain weight, but that wouldn't be on the surgeon.

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Most Active
Recent Topics