A depressing scary weight gain

christine2509
on 5/17/15 7:30 am - canyon country, CA

Congratulations to all who did it and kept the weight off..I had the vertical sleeve gastractomy 3 years ago and I enjoyed the first two year and lost 130 lbs and I looked amazing and different ..then I got into depression phase where I had to get anti depressant I kept gaining and gaining weight till I gained 50 lbs and this is plus the sweets addiction that starting adding..I look horrible and I look at myself in the mirror and can't stop my tears everyday ..... it breaks my heart....I just don't have the power to start anything else again..plz advice

Gwen M.
on 5/17/15 7:50 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Are you seeing a therapist?  It sounds like you might need an adjustment to your medication as well as a therapist to talk with.  

From there, I recommend tracking everything you put into your mouth using something like MyFitnessPal.  That will help you to figure out what you're eating and how you need to change things.  And then, start working on getting back to your basics.  Here are mine, yours might be a little different.  

1. Prioritize protein and water
2. Deprioritize carbs, especially the refined and processed ones
3. Make the most of healthy fats
4. Eat three meals a day with no snacks
5. Avoid liquid calories (breakfast protein shake is the exception)
6. Weigh portions, log everything consumed
7. Eat mindfully and with no distractions aside from real live people
8. Move as much as possible
9. Weigh myself daily
10. Be kind to myself

The good news is that you've done this before and you can do it again.  Depression is horrible and debilitating, but there are resources out there that can help you and you CAN do this.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Laura in Texas
on 5/17/15 9:55 am

But you have kept off 80 pounds, which is 62% of your loss. Still a great accomplishment.

The mental part is the hardest. Please forgive yourself and start from here. Gwen gave you excellent suggestions to get you back on track.

Losing weight is hard work. You have to believe you are worth the effort. You can do this!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

(deactivated member)
on 5/18/15 6:05 am

did the wt regain cause the depression or is the depression a chemical imbalance as they say? taking antidepressants can definitely cause wt gain, it's been my problem. I think Gwen gave the best advise I wish you well, depression is no joke no matter what the cause. Please get help, sometimes we need it and that's ok. Be well.

Most Active
Recent Topics