Goal...I guess?

wyo_sarah
on 5/15/15 8:00 am

I had my 9 month appointment yesterday.  My high weight was 272, my surgery weight was about 260 and I currently weigh 148.  According to the surgeon I have lost 90% of my excess body weight, I'm a huge success and I should stop losing weight.  That is great news!!  Except, the nurse informed me that everyone gains back something...that I'm definitely not going to be able to stay at my lowest weight, but even if I gain back 10 lbs, 160 is still very successful.  That kind of bothers me.  I want to stay right around 150; I don't want to be 160!  So, I'm thinking I should keep working at losing another 5-10 more pounds so I have some flexibility if/when I start to gain a bit.  But, my mom (and the nurse) said no way, that I would be too skinny.  What do you all think?  I'm not sure how to upload a picture, otherwise I would.

mickeymantle
on 5/15/15 8:13 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

its only a number but you could lose a few more lb and then stop

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

mmsmom
on 5/15/15 8:47 am - Woburn, MA

I don't think anyone should ever say "everyone."  You will determine if you gain back 10 lbs or not.  At this point, I think you need to make the decision based on where you are comfortable.  My surgeon told me at 133 he was happy with my weight and as far as he was concerned good to stop.  I said I wanted to get to 125.  The nut and therapist said at 125 to stop.  However, I went to 123 and feel very happy and content because I have 2 lbs of wiggle room to stay under my goal weight.  It sounds crazy but it's a slippery slope that we've all been on before - and gaining back this weight isn't an option!!!  

Either way, you are a success!!! congrats

VSG on 04/28/2014

frisco
on 5/15/15 9:23 am

The last pounds become personal....

For me..... I was glad I went low. I would have never known what it was like at a lower weight. As it turns out, I like low much better.

frisco 

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Gwen M.
on 5/15/15 9:26 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I think you should keep losing if you can keep losing.  It's unlikely that you'll get too skinny if you're maintaining a healthy diet.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Tracy D.
on 5/15/15 10:56 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

There's a couple other numbers needed here in order for me to comment:  

1.  How tall are you?  

2.  What's your body fat percentage?  

Now, if I remember correctly we had discussed this in a previous post of yours and you were going to try and get that analyzed somewhere.  If you're sitting at 150 lbs. and are over 25% body fat, then by all means continue to lose.  But if you're at 150 lbs. and have 20% body fat or less, you are probably shooting for low and will just cause yourself grief and frustrration.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

wyo_sarah
on 5/15/15 11:06 am

I'm 5'6.  I have no idea what my body fat percentage is.  I live in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming, and although I've looked, I think the closest place to have that done would be Denver, a 6 hour drive.  I'm not sure where to go from here.

Tracy D.
on 5/15/15 11:14 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I can sympathize with you.  I lived in Wyoming for several years and - other than the beautiful scenery, which wasn't where I actually lived - it was a desert of insufficient services for behavioral health, wellness, etc.  We drove to Denver several times a year to get our culture/entertainment/fun fix.  

Can you get to Lararmie, Casper, Rock Springs, or Cheyenne?  At the very least I would call the GNCs located in those towns and see if they've got info on where you could get your body fat tested.  Those muscle heads at GNC always have the inside track on this kind of stuff.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

wyo_sarah
on 5/15/15 1:56 pm

I love living in Wyoming, partly because I love being in the middle of nowhere.  Sometimes, though, it doesn't serve me well.  I was actually in Casper yesterday for my appointment, but I am over a 2 hour drive from any of those places.  I will try the electronic thing recommended below and see if that helps.  Thanks! :)

samanthalc
on 5/15/15 1:14 pm
with

Order this, and you can test at home.  It's pretty close to accurate.  I have one, and last year had a hydrostatic dunk test, and the numbers were near spot on.

http://www.amazon.com/High-Quality-OMRON-ANALYZER-ELECTRONICS-OTHER/dp/B0057Y9MGW/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1431720788&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=hand-held+body+fat+analyzer 

Most Active
Recent Topics