Before/After food intake

Elisabethb
on 5/14/15 11:20 am - Atlanta, GA
Sadly, it comes back. For about a year to year and a half I wasnt the least bit interested in food, never hungry, had to remind myself to eat. It was amazing. And then, almost overnight it went away. Not totally though.

I am 8 years out and it is not like it was preop but I definitely struggle much more with food than I did those first few years.
Reached onderland on March 13, 2008!!!!!
jenorama
on 5/14/15 11:36 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I'm only 18 months out and I have to say that I do miss being able to sit down and enjoy a big meal.  Like enjoying a bit of bread before my steak, eating all of the sides and the steak.  But I know that behavior is what led to my BMI of 56 and if I have to skip the bread, eat half a steak and a nibble of mashed potatoes, I'm fine with that.  I don't get upset over it, more wistful.  A couple months ago we were out for steak and I had a piece of bread with butter and then I couldn't have more than two bites of steak.  The bread was good, but I would have preferred the meat!  Lesson learned.

Jen

ipray
on 5/14/15 11:56 am
VSG on 11/06/14

I am only 7 months out and this is all such a learning curve! I still have a hard time adjusting to portions. (My mind is telling me I need to eat/measure out more, but my sleeve tells me it won't fit).  I still want the foods that made me big to begin with. The only difference that I have noticed is that I don't crave them, I just want them.  When I detoxed the carbs and sugars out of my body the cravings went away, but the head hunger didn't.  Knowing how hard I worked to get where I am is keeping me from straying.  I don't have any regrets, just trying to learn all I can to stay on track and be healthy.  Everybody is different. I think you will find that most people have no regrets regardless of their post surgery struggles.  As many have said, Surgery is just a tool.  You do have to do the work to help the tool function correctly.  Good luck to you! 

frisco
on 5/14/15 12:17 pm

This is a great question..... and there will be no "one" answer for everyone....

My opinion from my personal experience and from real life communication with other WLS patients.

Establishing new normals is key to losing the thoughts of huge "American" plates of food. In my travels there is no place in the world that portions out food like we do here in America.

That said, it took me about 6 months to settle in to the new normals and maybe a year before it was not a concern anymore.

Aftercare and education are very important with overall commitment to yourself and the process helps greatly. 

For me it has become a life of quality over quantity.

Now food choices are a different issue all together..... as long as I like ice cream & cookies more than broccoli and asparagus.... I have food issues and that takes bare bones discipline.

I am very settled on my quantity and large meals aren't even a thought anymore.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

psren13
on 5/14/15 12:31 pm - NC
VSG on 03/11/15

frisco, that looks really good.  I am assuming that is zucchini noodles and turkey sausage?  what is the red topping?  thanks.  Pam

frisco
on 5/14/15 1:24 pm

Zucchini noodles (Zoodles), pork tenderloin medallions, marinara sauce.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

robinreinhardt
on 5/14/15 12:22 pm

Meghan,

I am 5 months out and really don't miss the food. I used to be really obsessive about what my next meal would be. It's way better now to not really think about it. Hopefully that won't change as I get further out.

Good luck to you.

Robin

grayC
on 5/14/15 6:40 am, edited 5/14/15 6:42 am
VSG on 05/01/13

I am 2 years out and have no desire to eat or cook for that matter, 

whereas in my fatty life every waking second was obsessively thinking about what and when I could eat and then stuffing myself silly...

what I do have a STRONG issue with is emotional, stress and bordom eating..

my first year was also sunshine and roses..my mood awesome how could it not, dropping weight, getting compliments every time I ran into someone..then life sets in..friends get used to the new you..

the **** hits the fan..just..life..

but, unfortunately  I don't turn to food/ food something that would fill me up quick and not do that much damage...I turn to cookies or popcorn or on much less occasion ice cream ( which used to be "my thing")

although, I still have no desire for chocolate candy bars which was also my thing...

its a struggle, but everything worth doing is worth the struggle.. This surgery has, on SOOO many levels,Turned my life for the better, I honestly can't think of one thing, not one minuchia that I'd change.

Grim_Traveller
on 5/14/15 1:48 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

It doesn't upset me that I can't eat a large volume of food, but it does often shock me. 

At home, I only have as much food in front of me that I know I can comfortably eat. But many times at a restaurant, they bring a lot of food. It amazes me how little I can eat, especially compared to how much I used to consume.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 5/14/15 3:04 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

It shocks me how much food other people order and eat at restaurants.  Then I remember that I used to be them.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active
Recent Topics