Am I crazy?

ashley5886
on 5/12/15 8:05 am
with

I had my VSG done on 4/23 and have been following what I am supposed to have, you know broth to now mashed potatoes.  I feel like i'm going crazy because I haven't thrown up, been nauseous or felt like I've eaten too much.  I mean, no I haven't been shoving my face with food or anything but I know sometimes watching tv I might drink too fast or more than recommended but...nothing.  I feel like my stomach is acting the same and makes me think crazy thoughts like the doc didn't actually take out any of my stomach lol.  

I know its crazy but I wanted to see if anyone else felt the same way or had any similar experience?!?

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 5/12/15 8:25 am
VSG on 10/09/12

If you have been on liquids so far, they go right through your sleeve. There are very few people who feel restriction or fullness until they get onto soft foods or even later when they start to eat dense proteins and vegetables that close the pyloric valve and give you the sense of fullness. In addition post surgery your nerves in the stomach have been severed and will take time before you can trust any feeling coming from that area. That is why we are told to measure and weigh our food/liquids and not consume too much just because we don't feel it.

There is no reason why you should feel nausea or vomit. I haven't felt that once since surgery. Some people don't and I think we should consider ourselves lucky.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

ashley5886
on 5/12/15 8:27 am
with

Thanks Julia!!! Seriously that is really good to know.  I feel like everything I have read talks about having too much and it coming back up or being uncomfortable.  

Yes we are lucky then :D

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 5/12/15 8:35 am
VSG on 10/09/12

Just be careful of the mashed spuds...pure delicious carbs that have stalled my weight loss every time....

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

ashley5886
on 5/12/15 8:35 am
with

Ok...any suggestions you have I will take :D

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 5/12/15 8:41 am
VSG on 10/09/12

I would have a ricota bake, a protein shake, a greek yogurt with some protein powder, depends on what stage of food progression you are on and what choices your plan offers - I would always opt for something high in protein and nutritional value. Get as much bang for your buck with the limited space that you have. Best of luck!!

ashley5886
on 5/12/15 8:57 am
with

Julia, where do you get the protein powder to put on food?

Chilipepper
on 5/12/15 10:49 am

Did you have a consult with your nutritionist?  What does your food plan say?  Mashed potatoes have zero nutritional value and make you fat. Call and ask them what Protien they recommend for you. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

ashley5886
on 5/12/15 1:09 pm
with

Yes I had one prior to surgery that was very basic.  He gave me a book to follow and mashed potatoes and other mashed vegetables were on it for this week.  No other nutritionist follow up here :(

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 5/12/15 11:57 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

I think that doctors (surgeons) give us plans for how to eat to heal post surgery. To eat the kinds of foods that our sleeve can tolerate and our stomach lining to reconstitute itself following the operation, the staple line to heal etc.

That is the only reason I can think of to see thinned oatmeal, mashed potatoes, grits, cream of wheat and other such non weight loss foods on a post WLS food progression plan. It makes no sense otherwise. On the one hand they cut out 85% of our stomachs and on the other they say to eat things that will hinder the very objective of the surgery - weight loss.

There is a difference between a healing food plan and one that aims also for weight loss. 

I think there are choices that you can make within whatever plan is provided to you that will be within the healing parameters and will also maximize your weight loss efforts.

So if there are other mashed vegetables on the plan then I would opt for mashed broccoli or mashed cauliflower over mashed potatoes. Still on the same phase in terms of healing your stomach and at the same time better in terms of your goal to lose weight. 

Most Active
Recent Topics