Changing how I walk ? Walking tall and small...

MissNexxie
on 5/9/15 7:24 am
VSG on 04/30/14

I've got a bit of a strange question for everyone and forgive me if I don't word it as politically correctly as I should:

Has anyone noticed that even after significant weight loss they still walk like they are carrying all the weight?

I've lost a fair amount but I still walk like I did before: heavy footed, arms swinging outward and more of a rocking side to side walk instead of a smooth, light straight line walk? Also, I seem more bowlegged now when walking or standing with my feet together. Can I change my gait? How?

My hubby commented that I'm still claiming the same amount of space I did 130 lbs ago just by how I still carry myself. I think part of it is not mentally understanding I take up less real estate but also not knowing how to adjust how I carry myself. Is this weird? I have orthotics and good shoes but I think I don't know how to walk "smaller". 

Is this the right forum for this question?

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

TeashaLorna
on 5/9/15 8:02 am - Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada

I don't know if this is the right forum or not, but I can totally relate to you. I have lost 210 lbs and had to learn to walk all over again. I started by lining myself up with tiles on the floor. One foot on either side of a line and then began walking up and down the hallway at work looking further and further out. I then had balance issues so I started walking backwards on the treadmill ever so slowly and holding on; then not holding on; then holding on while my eyes were closed and eventually not holding on with eyes closed. It is a slow process but once you get you are golden. Good luck and keep up the great work.

Dr Ponce de Leon Mexico     VSG 4 Jun 12. I lost 57 lbs on my own before having a VSG. This is by far the best thing I have ever done for myself.

frisco
on 5/9/15 8:38 am

When I was newly at goal and 200lbs. less.....

My mom made the comment I still get up from a chair a little hunched over and start my walk with a waddle.....

I had to re-learn without the hunch and waddle....

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

jenorama
on 5/9/15 8:48 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Congrats on your weight loss! Regarding your gait, it might be worth it to look into some physical therapy. Your core muscles are a big part of your posture and guided exercise can help strengthen your core muscles. You might be able to get tips on how to adjust your stride rather than trying to do it on your own. 

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Jen

Kathy S.
on 5/9/15 9:59 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I never realized how bad I was hunched over until I saw a photo of me near goal.  It was bad and I was well on my way to old lady hump. To this day I still have to remind myself to stand tall.

Oh and have you lost shoe size?  I went from an 8 wide to a 6 1/2 regular.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

hollykim
on 5/9/15 2:39 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 9, 2015 at 7:24 AM Pacific Time, MissNexxie wrote:

I've got a bit of a strange question for everyone and forgive me if I don't word it as politically correctly as I should:

Has anyone noticed that even after significant weight loss they still walk like they are carrying all the weight?

I've lost a fair amount but I still walk like I did before: heavy footed, arms swinging outward and more of a rocking side to side walk instead of a smooth, light straight line walk? Also, I seem more bowlegged now when walking or standing with my feet together. Can I change my gait? How?

My hubby commented that I'm still claiming the same amount of space I did 130 lbs ago just by how I still carry myself. I think part of it is not mentally understanding I take up less real estate but also not knowing how to adjust how I carry myself. Is this weird? I have orthotics and good shoes but I think I don't know how to walk "smaller". 

Is this the right forum for this question?

even when I weighed 250, I REFUSED to allow myself to walk with that rocking side to side gate. I HATE that! 

I trained myself then,by very consciously making myself walk straight and upright. It is possible if you are very focused on how you are walking. I practiced walking that way around the house for a long time the gradually moved up to doing it away from the house.

i also found out that walking more slowely ,all the time and putting one foot in front of the other ,allowed me to walk more gracefully. Walking slowely also allows me to get that swing back inmy. Hips that Ihad forgotten how to do at 250#.

i found I couldn't swing my hips and rock side to side at the same time soi purposely chose hip swinging. 

You can retrain yourself if you work purposefully and wit awareness of how you ARE walking. It is a conscious effort to retrain yourself.

TiaHa49
on 5/11/15 9:20 pm - Cleveland, OH

I was very clumsy after losing the first 100 lbs! I thought something was wrong.  Apparently we just need to adjust to our new body and kinda retrain ourselves.  It'll come natural sooner or later:-)

Tia 

Most Active
Recent Topics