later taters

KevinBacon
on 5/4/15 4:03 am, edited 5/7/15 9:01 pm
VSG on 03/10/14

If this is what yall call support no thank ya :) 

HW: 318 Date of Surgery: 3/10/14 SW: 270  CW: 154

MissNexxie
on 5/4/15 4:18 am
VSG on 04/30/14

Congratulations, you look amazing! I'm very happy for you, your success and positive attitude.

My TT/BL is at the end of June and I'm so excited!  I admit i still have my moments with food and old demons but the difference is I recognize them and work through them instead of letting them win. I try and that's the difference in my life.

Best wishes!

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

Luvmygs
on 5/4/15 4:24 am
VSG on 12/04/14

AWESOME post. Thank you so much for a great uplifting post and congratulations. You look fantastic!!! Your daughter is adorable. Wishing continue success. Christine

iloveravens
on 5/4/15 5:49 am
RNY on 08/13/14

Wow, you look GREAT!  Excellent work.  xoxo

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Gina 22 years out
on 5/4/15 6:18 am - Burleson, TX

" And all my issues with food have been resolved thanks to VSG "

Feel free to call me a "mean old Vet...*****"..whatever need to be said...I've been around a long time, and can take it.

KB-while I totally applaud YOU...and I have followed you, since way before your WLS..and I am happy for YOUR present situation...and your desire to "pay it forward"...please bear in mind you are still in the relative early stages, of your journey, being only a little over a year out. I don't blame you, AT ALL, for getting for PS, while you still have military insurance-I probably would have done the same thing, in your shoes, if a surgeon would have done it, so soon after WLS.

Many peeps have true eating disorders/addictions, that a physical "rearranging of the guts" will not "fix". As posties "paying it forward" I feel it is important to help newbies understand all aspects of post op living (like your really hard early post op time).

NOT flaming you--just not wanting peeps to think WLS will fix EVERYTHING, as I take your post to suggest

Gina/13 year post RNY/Under goal/Still addicted to food

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

(deactivated member)
on 5/4/15 6:40 am

I know I still have major food issues. I wished surgery would have fixed my head. I am down 120 pounds from surgery. Daily I have to work on my issues. I do have hunger. 

I have to check myself on a regular basis. I go to therapy once a month. 

Surgery was one of the best gifts I gave myself. I am thankful I had it done. I am able to do so many more physical things I didn't before. 

Gina 22 years out
on 5/4/15 7:01 am - Burleson, TX

3BH-Were you able to find a therapist who has experience with WLS peeps?

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

(deactivated member)
on 5/4/15 7:13 am

She has been my therapist for four years before I decided on WLS. She    has dealt with many people who suffer from all kinds of addictions. She would not approve my surgery till she was sure I was ready. 

I was really mad at her. But she knew she couldn't just sign off till I knew what I was getting myself into. She is very straight forward and caring at the same time. 

She really has helped my with some of my issues that I have had in the past. Also now to with my mom having breast cancer. 

I know I will always have to go and see someone about some of my issues. I say a mental tune up. It never would hurt anyone. All of us have had some tough life experiences and some good also. Just sometimes you really need to talk to someone who is a professional who will validate how you are feeling.

I have been more honest telling people that I have been in therapy a few times in my life. I never hid it. I figured if it helped one person who was going through a tough time it was worth putting myself out there. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/4/15 8:58 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Well said, Gina! "Surgery fixes your stomach, not your head" is a mantra for a reason.

Also worth noting that VERY few people have PS a year out, so it's not a "normal" that most folks would expect.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Ladytazz
on 5/6/15 11:08 am, edited 5/6/15 11:09 am

Here!  Here!

I thought I was cured after my first WLS.  Notice I said first.  That should tell you how that went.

I think it's weird that I have altered myself physically to deal with what I truly feel, for myself, is an emotional issue.

There isn't a thing wrong with me physically that caused me to be obese.  My system is no different than anyone else's.  It's not like I eat exactly what others eat but I have been cursed with being the one that gets obese from it.  I actually thought that was the case for a long time, that everyone ate like I did but I was the only one that got fat from it.

Not every obese person has food issues but I know I do.

All the WLS in the world won't begin to cure me.  The best I can hope for is help in not acting on my food addiction.  The food issues are still there, they aren't going any where.  But now I am able to not give in to them, at least not so much.

Anyone who thinks that WLS cures food problems could be in for a big disappointment.  Ask any of the millions of people who had WLS and managed to regain most if not all they lost and than some.

They would be the first to tell you that WLS is not a cure.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active
Recent Topics