1.5 month pre surgery...advice please!

Raeraeslife
on 5/8/15 6:23 pm

Hi All,

New here, have been reading for a while but it's my first time posting. I have been overweight my whole life, have had significant ups and downs in weight, but today am at the highest weight of my life. I have been considering wl surgery for about 6 months now, got serious about 3 months ago, and finally made up my mind and set my date for VSG this week. June 17. I'm looking for advice about what I should do with my month and a half to prepare myself. I'm trying to start now with the water, trying to work out as much as possible at my weight without hurting myself to get my strength up. The thing I'm really struggling with is the food and protein. Do you recommend trying to cut back food (of course 2wks preop I'll be starting preop diet, but what about before that)? Should I go ahead and start protein supplements/ shakes? How did you go about choosing protein powder/ shakes ( my mind is boggled by the number of options)? What did you do to prepare yourself mentally? I'm terrified that I'm going to struggle because of how much of an emotional eater I am. I literally depend on food for pretty much everything. I'm looking for any suggestions you have to help me be successful at this.

And one last question...did anyone have last minute cold feet/second thoughts? While I do wholeheartedly think that this surgery is right for me, I still lie awake some nights worrying about if I'm making the right decision. I'm hoping that's normal...

Thanks y'all!

Meghan704
on 5/8/15 7:45 pm
VSG on 06/16/15

I'm going to comment on the second thoughts part. I have had them, I think it's normal to question it. I got over it by hearing something a veteran here told me. She said that there have been virtually no deaths from vsg and that the vsg is so safe that it actually was first performed for high risk and super morbidly obese patients as a way to lose some weight safely before undergoing more drastic wls surgeries. That really helped put my mind at ease. You will do fine and are doing the right thing for your health. 

akanikkie
on 5/8/15 8:11 pm
VSG on 04/27/15

I recently had my VSG on 4/28/15 and have no regrets.  I contemplated this surgery for 10 plus years and finally made the commitment.  Two things I wish I would have done in preparation:  learn how to get 64 ounces of water by SIPPING.  I thought that would be a breeze because I focused on the amount but not the method.  Practice might help you. I am on phase 2 of food - full liquids.  I bought a variety pack of protein powder at the doctor's office because I too was over-whelmed by the choices.  The one good thing is that you won't have to drink it for too long. I just couldnt stand the taste of the fruity choices so stuck with vanilla, choc. and coffee flavored.  I used the Syntrax Nectar for the clear liquid phase of those flavors and actually really like them.   Am going to try the unflavored now that I can move on to full liquids and mix that with some low carb soup for some variety.  

If you can increase your exercise before you go to surgery, I think you will really benefit.  I am very sedentary because of arthritis but tried to walk more and I think that helped.

I did have one moment of panic but knew I absolutely needed the surgery to save my life. I wish you the best with your surgery! 

HW: 448; SW: 376; CW: 321

TiaHa49
on 5/9/15 12:03 am - Cleveland, OH

Hi there,

I recommend cutting one thing out at a time and practicing NOT drinking with meals, waiting the 30 mins after to drink.

I went in mentally prepared. I read all I could and knew if I didn't id be 450 lbs by the following year.  I had to make it work.  My mantra, still today, is food is fuel.  I do recommend a therapist as over all this journey is a mind F*** more than anything. 

I think cutting back on junk food, if you eat it, would be a good idea.  If its possible for you to walk, when the emo part starts, go for a walk or drink a decent glass of water.  I still add lemon or lime. 

Was I afraid?  Yes.  Its major surgery, not without risks and I didn't want to die. I told myself if I did die, I wouldn't know it. 

Its not always a walk in the park but very doable.  Listen to your surgeon, his staff and yourself...read as much as you possibly can.  You can start tracking on My Fitness Pal to help you along and you can start it now.  It helps to see where you were and where youre going.

Best of luck to you:-)

tia

Nmmsg
on 5/9/15 4:58 am
VSG on 07/09/13

Everyone has cold feet, but for most of us we move through the fear to the greater good.  Each surgeon has different preop requirements.  Follow your surgeon's guidelines. Your tastes will change post.  Protein supplements that taste ok preop may not taste so good to you post op.  Most surgeons recommend certain supplements.  Get a variety and find what you like.  Get used to drinking lots of water. It is very important for post op and continued success. This is all baby steps.  Just take a section at a time and you will do fine.

Nancy

Learn from your family history and rewrite yours!

hollykim
on 5/9/15 2:47 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 9, 2015 at 4:58 AM Pacific Time, Nmmsg wrote:

Everyone has cold feet, but for most of us we move through the fear to the greater good.  Each surgeon has different preop requirements.  Follow your surgeon's guidelines. Your tastes will change post.  Protein supplements that taste ok preop may not taste so good to you post op.  Most surgeons recommend certain supplements.  Get a variety and find what you like.  Get used to drinking lots of water. It is very important for post op and continued success. This is all baby steps.  Just take a section at a time and you will do fine.

Nancy

excuse me,but I didn't have cold feet ,not at all. I actually couldn't wait to get on the table. Statements like "everyone has cold feet" is presumptuous on your part. You don't speak for everyone,just saying.

Nmmsg
on 5/9/15 8:19 am, edited 5/9/15 8:20 am
VSG on 07/09/13

Just saying- only trying to offer support. I will remember to note that I am only speaking for myself.

Learn from your family history and rewrite yours!

sds0029
on 5/9/15 9:04 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

There have been many post about preparation on this forum.  I did nothing but I followed my preop diet to the t. Post op I followed dr plans again to the t. It is when you get back on solids you have have your plan and preparation.   

The water vitamins and protein however is extremely important in pre post and the rest of your journey.  

Best of luck

Most Active
Recent Topics