How do I know what "Head Hunger" feels like?

LuckyDuck
on 5/5/15 6:48 am

I'm trying to figure it out. I am getting no hunger signals from my stomach (well, I'm only 6 days post-op and I'm still very gassy and uncomfortable) but I still feel some desire for yummy foods on Food Network (my mom watches it all day long and she's here for a few days to help me out). When I sit down and actually THINK about putting the food in my mouth, I feel sick and queasy. But I also feel like, "in the mood to eat". Is that head hunger? Like what I used to do which caused me to gain weight in the first place - wanting to eat because it felt good, was something to do, I like to cook and experiment, etc. 

29yo, 5'2" ? Sleeved 4-29-15 ? HW: 255.6 ? SW: 246.5 ? CW: 160 ? GW: 155.6

jenorama
on 5/5/15 6:56 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Head hunger is generally when you feel you have to eat a specific thing RIGHT NOW.  Like you're just doing your thing and suddenly you're thinking, "I NEED DORITOS, STAT!"  Real hunger tends to come on gradually and does't demand a specific thing.  When I feel a sudden need for a food, I wait it out and usually forget about it.  You're probably feeling head hunger right now and might want to suggest to your mom that you watch something else.  :D  Keep your awareness up and you'll do well.  :D

Jen

Kathy S.
on 5/5/15 7:06 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi LuckyDuck,

As you can imagine knowing the difference is key to our success. Here are a couple of links to articles and other posts on the subject to help you.  Good Luck to you

Head Hunger: Hang On, It Will Pass

Hunger vs. Satiety

Head Hunger search results

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Hislady
on 5/5/15 10:24 am, edited 5/5/15 10:24 am - Vancouver, WA

Some one here once said if you think you feel hungry and a can of tuna sounds good then you are really hungry if it sounds gross it is probably head hunger! If you can't tell for sure I would just stick to what ever your plan is 2 oz. of mushy stuff, or whatever your eating is at this point, every 6 hrs. Sometimes that is something you just have to learn because if we understood it before we wouldn't need the surgery now! Like you said that is how we got to this point in first place. Another thing to remember is it's OK to be hungry too. It won't kill us to be hungry for 1/2 hr. or whatever until we get to our scheduled eating time.

LuckyDuck
on 5/5/15 10:33 am

Hmm, a can of tuna DOES sound good right now!! I've been on liquids for a week now, and I will need to be for another week (unless my surgeon says differently tomorrow) before I can start soft/mushy foods. I just want to CHEW something! I'm not even so hungry now (had my egg drop soup + my antacid, which I think contributed to the "hunger") but I am SO SICK of shakes, soups, and pudding. Grrr! A soft-boiled egg sounds like heaven right now lol! I didn't think this would bother me so much, but before the surgery when I did the 2-week pre-op diet I was allowed one "real meal" a day and I guess having that real meal made all the difference......

poplargreys
on 5/5/15 12:30 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

I consider myself lucky, I haven't had many head hunger episodes and it's hard to explain, but I've been able to tell the difference immediately. I can look forward to having my little portion of egg salad for lunch and know it's going to taste good, but a bowl of popcorn SOUNDS good. I don't know if that makes sense, but that's how it is for me. The IDEA of a food seems more attractive if it's head hunger for me. I know I'm pretty early out, but honestly most of the foods that I am wishing about are things like roasted root vegetables, a beautiful little filet mignon, and fresh peaches. 

LuckyDuck
on 5/6/15 6:01 am

I think you're right - I think this is how I felt yesterday in the end, especially since I finally took my Omeprazole with dinner at 8pm (big mistake, I took mine today with breakfast now, I think a lot of my "hunger" and stomach rumblings were acid-related). The IDEA of a hot pastrami sandwich sounds and looks amazing, but when I really sit and think about putting it in my mouth, I get queasy. 

Of course this will continue taking work, but I hope I'm on the right track and continue to make the right choices! Thanks everyone so much for your help!! :)

poplargreys
on 5/6/15 6:10 am
VSG on 03/31/15

I woke up from a dream about eating a fresh bagel with cream cheese, so vivid I could feel the bagel between my teeth. Now that I'm awake, the thought of a bite of bagel turns my stomach. Such a mind trip! 

LuckyDuck
on 5/6/15 7:45 am
On May 6, 2015 at 6:10 AM Pacific Time, poplargreys wrote:

I woke up from a dream about eating a fresh bagel with cream cheese, so vivid I could feel the bagel between my teeth. Now that I'm awake, the thought of a bite of bagel turns my stomach. Such a mind trip! 

Wish there was a "like" button!! 

Most Active
Recent Topics