Food addiction article/some websites

(deactivated member)
on 4/30/15 3:05 am

I’m a reader (researcher?) when it comes to most things concerned with obesity. I’ve been reading a website blog for sometime now called Authority Nutrition. It’s a site started by a fellow who is an addict in recovery. He had a transfer addiction to food - specifically junk food – during his recovery from drug and alcohol and smoking. He is Icelandic and is working towards a degree in nutritional science. He is scientifically oriented and researches his topics well and uses scientific data and personal experience to support his stance on nutrition.

A post was put up on the site yesterday about food addiction that I thought would be an interesting read. Here’s the link:

http://authoritynutrition.com/how-to-overcome-food-addiction/

I am not endorsing the stance on food addiction on the website. I just found it interesting and as with anything obesity related, worth considering.

Another website I also have begun to read is A Workout Routine. It is run by a guy named Jay who can be rather no nonsense in his approach (and sometimes comes across as a bit sarcastic), but has a lot to say about weight loss, nutrition, and exercise that makes a good deal of logical sense. Jay writes based mainly on his personal experiences. He does not have certification in any health related area that I can tell. Yet, I still find his articles logical and fun to read.

The homepage for the site is: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/

The authors of the two websites don’t see eye to eye on some things, but I like sifting through the differing opinions and data and see what might apply best for me.

I figure it never hurts to have as many resources at our fingertips as possible.

wyo_sarah
on 4/30/15 3:11 am

Thank you!

Tracy D.
on 4/30/15 5:55 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

As a full-fledged member of OA, you would probably guess that I'm in complete and total agreement with the Authority Nutrition guy! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

(deactivated member)
on 4/30/15 6:22 am

I'm very much a fan of Kris Gunners. Have you read his e book, Vicious Eating? I read it in practically one sitting. I also really like Vinnie Totorich. Talk about sarcasm. You'd like him, too, I think.

The Jay guy on Workout Place site also has some very logical things to say and I have to say that for long term eating I think he makes a lot of sense. What I don't agree with is his simple calories in, calories out philosophy. I do believe that the type of macro nutrient does make a difference and the quality of the nutrition is also important.

I'm going through an exploration phase delving in to where I believe I am on the spectrum of disordered eating. It is a soul searching process and one I alternately enjoy and loathe! I've been on the precipice of a major shift and am having a bit of a struggle knowing which is the right path. UGH....

ipray
on 4/30/15 12:22 pm
VSG on 11/06/14

Kris Gunnars nailed it for me! His explaination on why food/drug/alcohol addictions are so similar make total sense. I would add that what sets food addiction apart from alcohol/drug addictions is that we have to eat to survive. We are unable to avoid food totally. Gunnars explains that we need to totally avoid the foods that cause us the most problems. My nut says that along with protein, we can have a small amount of veggies, fruits and non-veggie carbs per day.  I haven't and do not plan on adding carbs. I am a carb addict and I totally agree with Mr. Gunnars. We must stay away from the foods that trigger our addiction. I feel that the general population does not believe that food is addictive and that we can control our eating. I again agree with Mr. Gunnars that food is addicting in the same sense that drugs/alcohol is. The following is the definition of addiction from the American Psychiatric Association:  

Addiction is a chronic brain disease that causes compulsive substance use despite harmful consequences. Health, finances,relationships, and careers can be ruined. The abuse of drugs and alcohol is by far the leading cause of preventable illnesses and premature death in our society.

I think this applies to food addiction as well. Very good article and thanks for sharing!  (Sorry my reply is so long, but I found his take as a previous drug/alcohol addict and food addict spot on.)

(deactivated member)
on 4/30/15 1:37 pm

Thanks for such a personal response. I think it is so important to know who we are when it comes to food and what triggers us. It sounds like you really understand what carbohydrates do to you. May I ask if it's all carbs that trigger you or just processed and refined carbs? I ask because I have found that carbs in a natural state - whole - do not trigger me. I can eat some baked potato and be completely fine. I can eat whole rice and be fine. Steel cut oats are my friend - a 1/3 cup and I'm good to go. Where I have some issue is when the carbs are refined, especially highly refined - sugars, packaged snack foods, baked goods and the like.

I hope you take some time to read through some of the archived articles on the site. There are some very good ones there. Also, down load his free ebook, if you have the time to read it. I found it really informative and I was able to see myself in much of what he wrote!

ipray
on 4/30/15 10:48 pm
VSG on 11/06/14

My biggest problem is with pasta/noodles, rice/breads of any kind. (If I could have pizza every day without weight gain or health issues, I would be in heaven.) I think that in my mind that I associate all carbs (processed, refined and natural) as being bad and a trigger, but I must admit, that I have not tried natural carbs such as brown rice, steel oats, whole wheat bread, etc., so maybe I could handle them? That would be wonderful as I think I would enjoy the natural just as much as the processed. Maybe in my maintenace stage I can face my fear and try them to see if they cause cravings. (I have 38 pounds to go, and I am not brave enough to add them in now). I do eat potatoes at times, and I haven't had any problems so maybe I am being overly cautious. The only sugar food that I found addicting is ice cream. (Especially Haagen Dazs!) You would think that since I have a carb issue that I would crave cakes, doughnuts, etc., but maybe my addiction doesn't want me to mix my carbs and sweets? Strange how it affect people in different ways. I will take your advice and search for more articles and check out his free ebook. Thank you for sharing new tools and ideas for helping us with our journeys!

ocean4dlm
on 4/30/15 7:42 pm - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

Thank you so much for finding and sharing this article. I totally agree, especially with addressing the addiction prior to trying to lose weight. When I began the pre-surgery process in January, I got off the sugar and simple carbs before reducing intake. After detoxing, I increased protein and decreased calories. I have lost 40 pounds, and am working to understand and address disordered eating as I prepare for surgery in 26 days .

Roko
on 4/30/15 9:59 pm

Thank you for sharing this. Was very timely and helpful information for me😀

Most Active
Recent Topics