6.5 year update

Maureen K.
on 4/22/15 2:36 am

Ok so I had my surgery 6.5 years ago and just recently found myself being my old self - avoiding the scale number one red flag for me that I'm gaining - and eating crap chili burgers , candy , pasta , pizza ,chips , cookies , margaritas yep the old me had returned . I looked in the mirror and saw this love handle I grabbed it and said oh no you are not gonna do this - I marched right in the living room and stated that for the next two weeks I was not cooking for my family well I would steam veggies make tuna eggs etc but no more of those foods they all love . I went back got on the scale took a deep breath closed my eyes then opened them whew !!! I had only gained 5 pounds but it was all fat no water no muscle and I could definitely see it on me - so as of Sunday and today I Wednesday I went back to basics protein shake for breakfast hard boiled egg snack  lunch tuna lettuce wrap and chicken steam veggie for dinner well as of this morning I have lost 2 lbs and I feel so much better lighter sounds silly I know only 2 lbs but you will see it is huge when you meet your goal - anyway just wanted to say that yes you can stretch your sleeve never to what it was but you can also shrink it right back down -remember to keep yourself in check weigh yourself often and never let more than 5 lbs creep back on as it's easy to get off 5 but 10-15 is torture enjoy your day cheers 

SW - 223  CW- 130 GW- 140  Start Sz 18 Current Sz 4 Ht. 5'6"
 BA- LBL/TT 11/3/09

ipray
on 4/22/15 3:19 am
VSG on 11/06/14

Thank you so much for your post! I haven't reached goal or experienced maintenance yet, so it is helpful to hear experiences from people like you. You should be so proud of yourself! You caught yourself before it got out of hand and did something about it. So good to hear. Good luck to you and thanks for sharing!

psychoticparrot
on 4/22/15 3:46 am

If sleevers had a motto, it would be "Semper Vigilant." Always be vigilant, especially at maintenance. Kudos to you for getting on top of your weight gain before it got out of hand, Maureen.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Kathy S.
on 4/22/15 3:49 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Gwen M.
on 4/22/15 5:25 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Good for you for getting back on track!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

KathyA999
on 4/22/15 12:45 pm

Good for you Maureen!  I swear, with me most of any weight gain from crap eating (which I'm mostly able to avoid, but who's perfect?) is water weight.  Sugar and refined grains cause inflammation, where the body increases hydration in inflamed areas - in my case, joints mostly, but just a general overall puffiness too. Then of course there's the salt.  So eating "clean" (steamed veggies, chicken, eggs, etc.) eliminates the source of tha****er weight.

All that's not to say water weight doesn't cause love handles - it does!  And it's wonderful to be rid of it.  Congratulations again!

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

some1sospecial
on 4/26/15 5:58 am, edited 4/26/15 5:58 am - Edinburg/San Antonio, TX

Thank you for this post! I found myself in the same situation, only by the time I was brave enough to step on the scale I had a 14 pound gain, ouch! Starting tomorrow I'm going back to basics, mostly a sugar detox. I have a tt coming up and my surgeon told me not to "actively try and lose weight" but I'm pretty sure any weight loss from quitting sugar will be okay, since its the vitamins from regular foods he doesn't want me to be lacking.

Good luck on losing your extra 5, and to everyone else who found themselves slowly inching towards their old habits (like myself).

Most Active
Recent Topics