Down time after VSG

Gcroach
on 4/20/15 10:14 am - Canada

Hi folks hope someone can help me out with advice.

I've decided to have VSG surgery in Mexico, and get certain parts of my life back. My only concern is downtime after the surgery. 

I am from Canada and love to ride my Harley, as you can imagine the riding seasons pretty short here. I'd love to do my surgery in early June but don't want to be unable to ride all summer. I'm good with being laid up a couple to three weeks but that's the Max. I guess I could do the surgery in the fall but I'm so ready to loose this weight.

Can an anyone comment on downtime?

thanks folks 

Chris

PEI Canada

astueckroth
on 4/20/15 11:27 am - Harrisburg, PA
VSG on 06/27/14

Everyone is different. I was only "down" for about a week. Then had to take it slow. While I don't think I could have gotten on my bike until 2 weeks after I was driving within the first week.

I also didn't take prescription meds, only OTC and was back to work in 1.5 weeks on lite duty.

I have a high pain tolerance IMO and I hate side-effects of meds. So I'm not the norm. I mean I was only in the hospital for a total of 22 hours from pre-op through clearance to go home.

Cheers

Thebiggestloser
on 4/20/15 11:58 am
VSG on 11/19/14

Agree with above. I went back to work 12 days post op but wasn't feeling myself till about two weeks. 

Mary B.
on 4/20/15 2:56 pm - AZ
VSG on 04/23/15

I'm not a veteran, but had a thought.  I've read that we have lifting restrictions for some time after surgery.  Wouldn't pushing the bike around put as much strain on the sleeve as lifting something?  Those Harleys must be pretty heavy.

Age 63, HW 289, SW 273

mickeymantle
on 4/20/15 4:26 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I would not ride a big bike before 6 weeks , if you need to lift it you will not be able to, and the vibration might be painful before you heal and might do damage , ask your surgeon

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Gcroach
on 4/20/15 7:47 pm - Canada

Thanks for the input everyone, I had not heard how long the lifting restrictions were. That would have an impact on my ability to ride. There is some pushing and pulling when riding especially when backing up or turning when stopped. I guess I'll ask the surgeon for his input, but sounds like fall might be a better option. 

Luvmygs
on 4/21/15 12:48 am
VSG on 12/04/14

I was on a 3 month lifting restriction. I'd definitely wait until fall. Everyone's recovery time varies. Congratulations on making the decision to have the surgery. Its the BEST decision I ever made and I LOVE my sleeve!

Most Active
Recent Topics