Nutrition Question - edited

(deactivated member)
on 4/22/15 3:37 am

You need the fat for basic body function - especially brain function. I never really worried about fat grams when I was losing weight as a post op. I did count calories, carbs and protein. Naturally, when protein was spot on and carbs were low the rest had to be fat. I still ate lean meats and I stayed away from nuts.

I think a good formula for an 800 calorie day is this:

80-100 grams protein (= 320 - 400 calories), maximum of 40 grams carbohydrates (320 calories max), which leaves 9-18 grams of fat (81-160 calories).

Adjust for your own calorie level. Of course, this is simply my opinion. Do what you think is best for yourself and your particular situation.

Hislady
on 4/22/15 10:27 am - Vancouver, WA

Fat isn't nearly as important to watch as carbs are. Our bodies use fats to lubricate joints and it has other uses too. Carbs especially white carbs like four, sugar, rice and pasta are basically empty and of no use to our bodies, we can get along just fine with very few carbs. So unless you plan to munch on slabs of lard you'll be just fine even with the fats on the higher side. If you limit your carbs to non starchy vegetables you will do just fine.

Valerie G.
on 4/23/15 12:55 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Nutritional opinions are in transition about fat these days.  They finally admitted that the low fat revolution of the 90's was a mistake, and that we cannot get fat by eating fat.  All those artificially low fat options have added carbs, and protein naturally comes with extra fat to ease digestion, so I wouldn't be at all concerned with it.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics