Birth Control?

LuckyDuck
on 4/15/15 7:15 am

Hi all! I just met with my surgeon this afternoon for my pre-op visit (2 weeks from today - April 29th!!) and I asked him about birth control. He said that the pill is fine, there's no issue with fast weight loss.

I've heard competing things from sites like this, Facebook groups, etc, so I just wanted to ask around before I made an appointment with my GYN - did your Dr. also say the pill is fine? Did he/she recommend the pill + backup BC? (I feel like if I do use the pill - and I've never used the pill successfully, since at my weight and with my PCOS, it was never tolerated well - I would want to use the pill + spermicide). Or did they say the pill is totally unreliable and go straight for IUD/condoms/etc? I want to get pregnant pretty much as soon as the Dr. tells me it's a go, so I don't want to get an IUD inserted.

Thanks so much in advance!! 

29yo, 5'2" ? Sleeved 4-29-15 ? HW: 255.6 ? SW: 246.5 ? CW: 160 ? GW: 155.6

MAchick
on 4/15/15 8:50 am
VSG on 01/27/14

I was actually not allowed the pill as part of my program requirements. Two months before and after surgery at a minimum.

Not only can birth control pills not be effective,  they can increase the Risk of blood clots. That is the main reason why they were not allowed for my program. I opted for an IUD because it's what I felt was best for ME. I would definitely sit down and chat further about this with your doctors.

LuckyDuck
on 4/15/15 10:27 am

Thanks MAchick - that's definitely something I've been hearing from many people. Is this something to talk to my GYN about? I felt like she wouldn't know much about birth control post-WLS, but my surgeon seemed to know even less....

slyons59
on 4/15/15 12:19 pm

My surgeon did not have a problem with it. He said to avoid sexual activity for a while after surgery and have a backup BC method just in case, but I haven't had a problem taking the pill. My doc's biggest worry was about pregnancy so soon after surgery. Otherwise, he was fine with the pill.

Maria27
on 4/16/15 4:11 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I had RNY, but I just want to promote the IUD. I didn't consider it at first either because I don't want to wait longer than I have to before getting pregnant, but you can get it removed whenever you want. It really has been a relief not to have to worry about taking another pill right now. Plus most women don't get their period with the hormonal IUD, and it didn't cost me anything because it is considered preventative care. I encourage you not to rule the IUD out so easily. Besides condoms and spermicide are pretty unreliable.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/16/15 7:32 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Another endorsement for the IUD here. I got to a happy place with my weight loss, had the IUD yanked (I'd had it for 2.5 years at that point), and was promptly pregnant a month later.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

LuckyDuck
on 4/16/15 11:00 pm

Thanks everyone for your input. I made an appointment with my GYN for a week or so after my surgery, that's the earliest he had available. We'll discuss then - I hope he knows how to deal with me! :) I'm really, really not interested in an IUD, so I'm going to try very hard to work something out. Anyone use the patch? I forgot, right after I got married, I used the patch with success, though I couldn't double up on the pack.

Most Active
Recent Topics