Confused!!!!

shaidacy
on 4/14/15 8:21 am - Canada

So I am 4 days post op today. Been drinking water,broth,diluted fruit juice. I attempted some SF applesauce today. So far so good. I am however still feeling some pain/tenderness in the bottom left abdominal area...is this normal??? My protein intake has been a complete miss partner on his way now to buy me so.ething else I cannot stand the smell or taste of the one I have but know how important it is so I hope the new one is much better!!!! I have been walking but def not for 15 mins straight due to a lil dizziness. Please just needs some words of wisdom and maybe a little guidance!!!! Thanks a lot! 

P.s any recommendations for some clear liquid diet foods...I do not eat cheese!!!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/14/15 8:29 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Well, cheese is not a liquid, nor clear. 

It is important that you get in your protein to help your body heal.  There are several brands of protein shakes on the market.  Everyone has a different preference so all you can do is sample many until you find something you like.  Syntrax has some nectar flavors that many people like.  I liked Premier Protein during this phase.  I would add a tablespoon of sugar free Jello pudding to give it a different flavor.

Are you getting in all your fluids?  At least 64 ounces a day?  Don't let yourself become dehydrated or you could end up in the emergency room.

Hang in there.  It will get better but all you can do is white knuckle it in the beginning.  Some people drink their shakes out of a plastic bottle with a lid so the smell doesn't gross them out.  We don't drink protein shakes because we love them; we drink them because our bodies need protein after surgery!

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

shaidacy
on 4/14/15 9:15 am - Canada

I'm jumping the gun with the cheese comment lol. Thanks for your response. You are absolutely right about the protein I just gotta "suck it up". I hope to be is less pain so I can  do more walking. One day at a time I guess. 

diaamajed
on 4/14/15 8:39 am

Hi there.

I had the same issue with protein and it is important to drink at least 2 shake a day.  Also you can try unflavored protein powder and add it  to broth.  also I  tried isopure clear liquid protein drink (not milk base)

shaidacy
on 4/14/15 9:18 am - Canada

I have tried the adding protein to everything and it was un successful. I jus purchased whey iso burst caused a coughing fit which totally increased my pain. I may return one tub and try the protein shakes. Trial and error I guess lol

sds0029
on 4/14/15 11:01 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

Hang in there.  I had same problem with protein powders, unflavored., cannot stand smell.  I stay with premier protein drink, chocolate .  Preop and post op.  I so learned from this forum to strain a light chicken soup and add this to your chicken Broth.  It tasted amazing.  So satisfying.  

Also on pain in left side I had the same.  Supposedly this is the incision where they pull out excessive belly.  

shaidacy
on 4/14/15 12:58 pm - Canada

Okay I'm def going to try that!!! Yes that's what I was reading. Kinda scared me a long with the lil dent lol...this new life I tell ya:)

Amy M.
on 4/14/15 11:56 am - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

The tenderness you're feeling is normal.  I had twinges of pain and tenderness for a few months post op.  My surgeon advised me that we don't fully heal until about 6 months post op.  It gets better though.  Some people deal with pain better than others.  

I understand what you mean about the smell of protein.  It's not pleasant.  I recommend trying samples before buying another tub.  Protein is way too expensive to buy big tubs of it just to find out you hate it.  I use Optimum Nutrition whey and there's a lot of good flavors (my favorites are cookies n cream, chocolate peanut butter, and strawberry).  I mix it with unsweetened original almond milk and blend with ice to make it thicker.  If you're trying to mix unflavored protein with food and broth but finding that it's unsuccessful then you're probably adding too much.  Try adding a little less and see if it's better.  I learned that the hard way.

You could also try pre made drinks.  They tend to taste better but they're a bit more expensive.

shaidacy
on 4/14/15 1:00 pm - Canada

Okay sad u experienced that but happy to know I'm not alone and not in danger misery loves company lol.

I def have to go sample some protein my partner bought 2 huge tubs and I don't like it so trial and error I may try the pre made shakes as well thx so much for your feedback gosh love knowing I'm not alone in this journey

Most Active
Recent Topics