Weight/BMI Limit?

peacelovehhs
on 4/14/15 5:18 am

I am trying to figure out what surgeries are possible for me. I'm 345 at this point. Is eligibility for any of the surgeries dependent on weight or BMI?

I realize my doctor is the final authority on this, I'm just wondering what the general experience is. Thanks.

Gwen M.
on 4/14/15 7:12 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Your BMI depends on your height, of course, but I can't imagine any height where your weight wouldn't put you into the SMO category.  And, for my insurance, being SMO would have qualified me for any of the surgeries they covered.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 4/14/15 7:31 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Sadly it's more often your insurance company that's the final authority. They're all different, but most will cover WLS either with a BMI over 40 or with a BMI over 35 and at least one serious comorbidity (diabetes, hypertension, arthritis, and sleep apnea are some of the common ones). Give yours a call and find out! 

peacelovehhs
on 4/16/15 12:14 am
On April 14, 2015 at 2:31 PM Pacific Time, 4FurKids wrote:

Sadly it's more often your insurance company that's the final authority. They're all different, but most will cover WLS either with a BMI over 40 or with a BMI over 35 and at least one serious comorbidity (diabetes, hypertension, arthritis, and sleep apnea are some of the common ones). Give yours a call and find out! 

My BMI is 63, so that shouldn't be an issue. And my insurance company seems to cover most procedures.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/14/15 8:30 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

It's best to check with your insurance company to first find out if they cover bariatric surgery.  Many of them have specific exclusions.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/14/15 9:07 am - OH

Yes, there are some limitations on size for certain surgeries, but at "just" 345 pounds, it is unlikely that any of them will apply to you.  Usually the limitation on weigth ahs to do with the hospital not having the longer instruments needed (or the doctor not be trained) to do laparoscopic surgery on someone very large.

Some surgeons won't do a band on someone with a high BMI (because they know that they will almost certainly not lose the weight they need to lose), some surgeons only DO certain surgeries (many don't do the DS, for example) so that is a limitation, and some insurance plans only cover certain surgeries, of course... 

It is also possible that, especially if you carry a lot of your weight in your abdomen, your surgeon might want to do an open surgery rather than a laparoscopic one.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

peacelovehhs
on 4/16/15 12:13 am
On April 14, 2015 at 4:07 PM Pacific Time, ****rogirl, The PhD Version wrote:

Yes, there are some limitations on size for certain surgeries, but at "just" 345 pounds, it is unlikely that any of them will apply to you.  Usually the limitation on weigth ahs to do with the hospital not having the longer instruments needed (or the doctor not be trained) to do laparoscopic surgery on someone very large.

Some surgeons won't do a band on someone with a high BMI (because they know that they will almost certainly not lose the weight they need to lose), some surgeons only DO certain surgeries (many don't do the DS, for example) so that is a limitation, and some insurance plans only cover certain surgeries, of course... 

It is also possible that, especially if you carry a lot of your weight in your abdomen, your surgeon might want to do an open surgery rather than a laparoscopic one.

Lora

Makes sense, Lora. I'm fortunate in the my insurance seems to cover most types of WLS...and not having the laproscopic version isn't a deal breaker for me.

peacelovehhs
on 4/16/15 12:11 am

Thanks, everyone. My BMI is 63...your answers are very helpful.

I am hoping for the vertical sleeve, and while I'd prefer the laproscopic option, in the end I know it is the doctor who has to say what is possible and what is not. Admittedly, I'm pretty scared, but at this point in my life (I"m 52) I've tried it all, and I need a new tool/strategy. I mean, isn't one of the definitions of insanity doing what you've always done but expecting different results?

Robyn

Most Active
Recent Topics