Pre Op Diet Starts Today - Anyone else have experience with OptiFast?

brittanyp_vsg
on 4/14/15 3:47 am
VSG on 04/29/15

Hey guys!

Two weeks from today I'll be changing my life! I started my pre-op diet today, which consists of (5) OptiFast products per day. The shakes haven't been bad, but does anyone have any ways to spruce up that chicken soup? It's not the most appetizing thing, and I'm worried about how I'll be able to handle this post op.

Any advice will help! Thanks!

-Brittany

more2adore
on 4/14/15 10:06 pm
VSG on 03/28/15

I'm surprised your surgeon wants you on OptiFast post-surgery - there are a LOT of carbs and sugar in OptiFast products. Low-carb protein shakes are much better, IMO. Anyway, my pre-op diet was primarily Optifast as well (just three products per day, plus veggies) so I'm familiar with the chicken soup. I don't have any "sprucing up" suggestions, though. Good luck on your pre-op - I had to do it for four weeks,  so two is definitely manageable! The first four days are the worst. Hang in there! 

VSG 3/28/2015 | HW 600+ | SW 488.2 | CW 398.4

Jiliana2
on 4/14/15 10:52 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

As an Ontario resident, many of us here are required to do Optifast before our surgery. However Opti is definitely NOT for post-op... we switch to regular protein shakes after the surgery and Optifast has too many calories for post-op use. (Please make sure you check that out with your surgeon/program.)

I didn't have the chicken soup that Opti produces; we are only allowed Optifast shakes and on the Ontario group, we have a whole list of Opti recipes to spruce up the shakes, but I confess, I've never seen anything pertaining to the chicken soup. If I see anything, I'll let you know.

Wishing you an easy two weeks of Opti, and remember, the first 3-5 days are the absolute worst but it does get better after that! Believe me!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

brittanyp_vsg
on 4/15/15 12:42 am
VSG on 04/29/15

Wow - I'm so glad I asked somebody this, because I would have totally eaten this post-op and probably gotten sick.

Thanks for the heads up!

Most Active
Recent Topics