6 days post-op and MISERABLE - need a Pep Talk

etiedeman
on 4/21/15 3:11 am

Yes, except for the day I was nauseated, I have been getting between 32 and 48 oz. I have my nalgene always by my side.

Age: 33; Height: 5'7"; VSG 4/14/15; HW: 344lbs (Jan '15); SW: 330lbs; GW#1: 170lbs 

(deactivated member)
on 4/19/15 12:20 pm

I'm going to encourage you do contact your surgeon's office. I should be safe to move to full liquids (which will include milk, yogurts without stuff in them, creamed soups that are pureed, etc...) You are clearly a special case because of your medical needs.

While I would never encourage you to go against your surgeon's advice, I think it's a good idea to question him/her about moving to full liquids early. I know the plan from my center (which is an ASMBS Center of Excellence) allowed me to be on full liquids shortly after surgery - I think it was 5 days.

Tonight I would strain some Progresso (or similar) soup to get some liquid and some flavor. If you don't get protein for a few more days, it's not going to kill you, but you do want to start getting protein in as soon as you can.

All the best to you and I hope that blasted headache has been kicked to the curb by now!

etiedeman
on 4/19/15 12:40 pm

Thanks. It's getting better, but I also just took some pain meds (my first one of the day, and it's 10:37pm here!).

My center is an ASMBS CoE as well, but obviously the dietitian...well...isn't. I'll call int he AM and see if there's anything I can do. Even if it's just replacing one "meal" with a full liquid and doing the rest clear.

I did make and strain some ramen yesterday. A lot of sodium, I know, but it was really good and satisfying. And I drank a lot of water with it.

Age: 33; Height: 5'7"; VSG 4/14/15; HW: 344lbs (Jan '15); SW: 330lbs; GW#1: 170lbs 

Oneillch
on 4/19/15 1:01 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

Pain meds are a good thing and I say that because, at 3 weeks out, I had an attack of gout & was unable to take my Advil. There's no reason for you to be miserable.

Stay with the warm liquids if they seem to be good for you. Also, if you like eggdrop or hot and sour soup, try straining them. My nut suggested that. 

etiedeman
on 4/19/15 12:42 pm

And I'm a bonehead and totally forgot about Meetup.com. and OF COURSE there's a meetup in my vicinity because no one wants to fight DC's rush hour traffic to get out to the big one at the hospital. RSVP: Yes!

Modest_Phoenix
on 4/19/15 3:07 pm

I haven't had surgery yet but am thinking that flavored extracts might work. Vanilla, almond, mint, the kind for baking and making candy comes in a lot of different flavors. 

Highest weight 208 in 2008 ** VSG 11/27/15 weight 193 ** Current weight 128 ** Goal weight range 100 -110 ** Height - 4'11" ** Age - 49

etiedeman
on 4/20/15 12:01 am

I'm trying to play with extracts. My mom calls it "my chemistry set." I've got orange, strawberry, raspberry, lemon, almond (yuck), and vanilla. No joy so far. This morning, I'm going to try a little bit of hershey's cocoa with just a tad of real sugar (like 1/8 of a tsp).

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/19/15 9:01 pm

Hugs. I really feel bad for you because i deal with food allergies, and t was very difficult to find out what i was really allergic to. 

As for sweeteners.~  they are not the same.  I get headaches with aspartame. Splenda makes me itch. but i do tolerate stevia and saccharine. 

Have you tried sacharine ? That is the only artificial sweetener that is ok for me. 

On natural - erythritol ~ type of sugar alcohol, that most people can tolerate, and it is suppose to be real 0 calories.  Xylitol ~ may be ok, but it still can cause upset belly (gas), and it may afect BS. 

Nausea ~ it sucks.  What helped me was warm ginger tea. Real ginger tea - a few times a day. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

etiedeman
on 4/20/15 12:07 am

Have tried saccharine. no joy. :( I'll check out erythritol.

White Dove
on 4/19/15 10:04 pm - Warren, OH

It is going to be tough without using sugar substitutes.  Have you tried Whey Low?  It tastes the most like real sugar and many people have told me that it does not give them migraines.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Recent Topics