Need Ideas Please-I do not eat meat of any kind.

TREVORSMOM91
on 4/12/15 11:50 am
with

I am new to this forum and I look forward to reading the different topics.  I had my surgery on March 24th and I get to start soft foods in 2 days.  I do not eat meat of anykind.  I will eat eggbeaters and cheese.  I need protein ideas for soft foods and beyond.  I appreciate any guidance you may have. 

grayC
on 4/12/15 12:24 pm
VSG on 05/01/13

If you also don't eat fish, 

the only thing I can think of ( since I'm a carnivore)

with decient protien w/o a ton of calories is Tofu..

hope I was at least a small help 

psychoticparrot
on 4/12/15 12:51 pm

I'm not a vegetarian, but except for fish and occasionally chicken, I get my protein from beans, quinoa, and tofu. Silken tofu that's been marinated can be a tasty soft food. Low-fat refried beans are another option. There are many recipes online for these foods.  

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Sasny
on 4/12/15 12:53 pm
VSG on 03/20/12

Hi

If i were you search in the search bar on this site for vegeterian posts.  It will be tricky for you to get in all of your protien without meat so i would look for advice from a nutritionist or experienced sleevers or are vegetarians.  Here are some ideas:

cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, ricotta ccheese , Egg salad, protien oatmeal from Bariatric Pantry, omelettes, felafel, beans

Also check out the website "the world according to egg face" for some food ideas.

stephanie

Grim_Traveller
on 4/12/15 1:05 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I don't understand when you say you don't eat meat.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

TREVORSMOM91
on 4/12/15 5:40 pm
with

I do not eat any kind of meat including seafood

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 4/12/15 6:42 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

Tofu springs to mind first. You will have to do a lot of protein supplementing if you don't eat flesh (fish, chicken, seafood, beef, pork, lamb etc.) at all. Eggs are great but how many eggs can you eat in a day right? I'd add unflavoured protein powder to whatever you eat to boost the protein intake. There are a few vegetarians/vegans who have had WLS. I am sure they will chime in with what they do that works for them. Best of luck. I can't imagine not eating meat and fish and chicken and all that. Have you always been a vegetarian? What did you eat before surgery for protein sources?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

(deactivated member)
on 4/12/15 9:54 pm

I am a vegan. I've looked into this myself. For starters Bariatic advantage vegetable soup is vegan it is made with Pea protein. I also ordered a clear called liquid drink called botan. Plus you can take protein powder that is vEgan with no flavor and mix it into pretty much anything. Puréed beans with tofu. And drink lots of green smoothies for the extra protein value in the greens etc. I use Garden of life products and sun warrior.I went over all of this with my nutritionist she seemed pretty happy about it however, for the first year I am going to use seafood and fish product along with bone broth for healing very hard for me to do but this is a huge step in my life and I want to make sure that I am successful and well nourished. Not to say that you can't be if you don't it's just a personal choice good luck to you I admire your conviction 😊

by the way Amy's gluten-free burgers are pretty good and have A decent amount of protein in them. So brand coconut and almond milk yogurt as well forgot to mention to other items that I brought up to my nutritionist ;) 

Julie81
on 4/12/15 10:02 pm

Tofu, beans, veggie burgers! There's a brand called beyond meat that makes awesome meat substitutes! I'm not vegan but enjoy a lot of veg/vegan food. I find that I digest eggs, fish, tofu and beans easier than meat and chicken

VSG 2/11/15 with David Lautz

weese
on 4/12/15 10:34 pm
VSG on 02/26/14

I used unflavored unjury in vegetable stock as a protein suppliment. It really tasted better than any packaged protein drink. Of course check with your dietitian for more suggestions. Good luck.

Lisa

Surgery 2/26/14 with Dr. Stephen Marshall in Peoria, Il

Most Active
Recent Topics