This is my Start

paflyersgal
on 4/12/15 2:23 am
VSG on 10/06/15

Hello Everyone!! This is the start of my journey! I have searched many websites looking at forums and blogs trying to find one that would be helpful to me. Today marks the end of the first week of my 6 month journey before surgery. I have been overweight for as long as I can remember. I finally looked in the mirror and told myself that things need to change. I have tried every diet I can think of. I would lose a few pounds and then gain back double what I lost.  Crushing my will to continue. I have been thinking about doing the sleeve surgery for a few years now. After talking with some of my co-workers that have done the procedure themselves, I have decided that sitting around thinking about it wasn't going to help. The first step was making that doctors appointment to see if I was "a good candidate" insurance wise. I have completed all my blood work, my Upper GI and my first meeting with the Nutritionist. I am now officially a VSG member and on the road to the new me! I have been given two goals from my nutritionist to start off with. Eating slowly and in a certain order and not drinking while I eat as well as making sure I take in 48 oz of water a day. It's only been a week, but I feel that I have been on the right track. I hope to come here and share my journey with people that have done it already, find some inspiration, encouragement, and friends along the way. 

Karen

ipray
on 4/12/15 5:13 am
VSG on 11/06/14

GOOD FOR YOU!!!  You have a great attitude and that is the most important thing to have to see you through your journey. Your nutritionist is giving you great pre-surgery advice, although, after surgery you will probably be drinking 64 oz of liquids or more. But 48 oz is a good start.  So glad you are not putting it off any longer.  Why continued to be miserable when you can go ahead and get started now.  (I wish they had this surgery when I was younger.  I wouldn't have wasted many years being so unhappy with myself.)  Good luck to you!  

paflyersgal
on 4/12/15 5:32 am
VSG on 10/06/15

I know that this is a life changing event! I need to change the way I do things. I started by taking some advice from the Nutritionist. I purchased a water bottle, so while I am at work I will always have water close by. I even got a fancy one that twists at the top so you can add ice! Sometimes the little things excite me. I also bought portion cupped plates. So I can pre-make my meals and freeze them. I have done a lot of reading and a lot of goggling. I wanted to put myself on the right track from the start. I welcome all the encouragement I can get! I know that this isn't going to be easy. I have a great support system at work, my boss has been through the surgery already and she encouraged me to do the research. I do wish that someone would have giving me that nudge years ago.. but now is better than never. Being unhappy and second guessing trips and vacations was the lowest point. When you make the choice to stay home alone instead of going away with your family because you are worried you can't do all the walking, you know it is time to do something about it! I'm just glad that I finally decided that enough is enough.. 

Karen

Mary Gee
on 4/12/15 6:53 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Good for you Karen!!  Sounds like you've got a great attitude that will lead you to success.  Life is so much better post-op.  I still have a ways to go, but my day-to-day life is so much better. Being obese restricts you in so many ways.  

Yesterday was a beautiful day and I went outside and started picking up the yard a bit.  Planning on raking this week and going to Home Depot to look around their garden department because I'm going to do some flower planting.  At the end of last summer, I was able to mow my lawn. Prior to surgery, a few minutes of mowing did me in -- had to stop because my heart was pounding and I could not catch my breath.  There are so, so many things I'm able to do now without effort.  Something as simple as walking into a room and not having to look for a seat that 1) Will hold you, and 2) you can fit into....... -or-  being able to shop for clothes in a store, rather than through a catalog.... -or-  walking.....  -or-  feeling your collarbone.....   The list goes on and on.   

Keep reading the boards - there's lots of information that will hep you along the way.  Best of luck to you!                                                          

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Most Active
Recent Topics